Bubble Glaze

AndreaB

Morning all,

Yesterday I tried to use glaze with liquid dish washing soap as a marbling effect over shines white. I didn't get any colour of note on the pot during firing which was disappointing, but my question is can I put the small amount back into the glaze? Am I being silly for wanting to do so since it is a small amount? Not that I would intentionally add dishwashing liquid to glaze, but I am curious to know what would happen if intentionally added to a batch of glaze

I would recommend using cobalt/copper/iron oxides instead of a mixed glaze with the bubbles. I also think adding a touch of corn syrup would make bigger, stronger bubbles that might carry the heavier metals better.

Why not just use it up in some random location that you might want to accent in that color. Better safe than sorry!

can I put the small amount back into the glaze?

To state the obvious you need to balance:

- the gains/losses in trying: e.g. money, time, lessons learned.

- your level of regret/elation for the possible outcomes.

Sounds like:

- low gains and mild elation if it works

- high losses and significant regrets if it doesn't

I am curious to know what would happen if intentionally added to a batch of glaze

Well it lets you blow bubbles in the bucket, which can be used to interesting effect.

For a raku 2-part resist example see post 15 in:

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/4445-dish-detergent-in-glaze-makes-bubbles-how-please/?p=39256

I've had my best results using underglaze for the bubbles (Amaco Velvet) with a clear glaze over the top. The consistency is very important, too wet and you'll have drips and runs (from liquid carried in the bubbles)  spoiling the effect.

post-7271-0-33933400-1466944104_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-33933400-1466944104_thumb.jpg

ayjay, that is a beautiful result using a method that i thought rather juvenile.  but.............you have made it classy!  very classy!   admire your choice of colors.  we should have an emoticon that has a huge THUMBS UP!

Archived