Zircopax Kiln Shelf

Min

Min how does one compress the zircopax powder into a flat large slab?i own a lot of zircopax.

Looks like he makes it into a "clay" and rolls out a slab. (I can pm you his email address if you want to contact him for more specifics)

this is all the info he gives:

My first zircopax kiln shelf passed with flying colors

It is 5 mm thick (compared to the 17mm of the cordierite one). It weighs 650 grams (vs. 1700 grams). It will perform at any temperature that any kiln that I have will generate and far in excess of that. It is made from a plastic body having the recipe 80% Zircopax Plus, 16.5% 60-80 Molochite grog and 3.5% Veegum T. The body is plastic and easy to roll and had 4.2% drying shrinkage at 15.3% water. The shelf warped slightly during drying, so care is needed. First-firing at cone 4 yielded a firing shrinkage of 1%). Notice that cone on the shelf: It is not stuck so no kiln wash is needed! Zircopax is super refractory! It is held together by sinter bonding, so the higher the temperature you can fire to the stronger it will be.

mark, to compress the stuff, would one of those pressing machines i see advertised in the harbor freight ads work?  they advertise different tons of pressing strength.  i know nothing about them but wonder if they might be modified to use as tile presses.

I don't think it requires pressing or ramming.It says it is easy to roll and held together by sintering , then fired to ^4. dry with care or can warp.

Interesting.

"The body is plastic and easy to roll and had 4.2% drying shrinkage at 15.3% water. The shelf warped slightly during drying, so care is needed. First-firing at cone 4 yielded a firing shrinkage of 1%). Notice that cone on the shelf"

Archived