S Crack.

BRL

What is spooze?  great name!

Spooze;

Take your clay body powder, or just a bit of clay, add one third Caro syrup or other cheap syrup and one third vinegar.

Only make enough for the repair. You cannot save it for another job as the sugar rots and really stinks.

Use on greenware or leather hard clay.

TJR.

Oh contraire TJR. I had some spooze keep all summer in a sealed container, no smell. I just added some peroxide to the batch. It had a small bit of mold, but like I said, no smell. I should say, it didn't have a bad smell. It does smell, like an old canvas tent for some reason...

Now that I mentioned it, I forgot to add peroxide to the new batch I made for my classroom. Better get on that!

I guess there is a point in life where it is just as easy to re-throw the piece than spend time repairing it. If it were a student of mine, I would fix as best possible. For myself I fix it also-toss in slop and recycle. I have had a few canisters that have cracked, guess I was out of practice on base compression of the large size. So a few re-thrown later all is good. They never even made it to bisque.

My S-Crack story:

In my Ceramics 1 class I give one test at midterms and it covers everything. After the students hand in their tests, I go over them, the students chime in when they know the answers, and groan when they make easy mistakes. Last semester I went through the questions and got to the one about not compressing the bottom or leaving water in a freshly thrown pot results in... One usually quiet student yelled out confidently "S-HOLE". We all had a good laugh. So as students are, the name stuck, and so became the mantra when compressing the bottom... "Nobody likes an S-hole."

Awesome Sammule.....

Oh the things students say!

I have a bonus question on my test.  What is another, common name for Hydrous Alumina Silicate?  I've received some funny answers, one of which was "School Lunch".  With what they are serving in schools these days, sometimes it seems like that answer isn't far off...

Oh contraire TJR. I had some spooze keep all summer in a sealed container, no smell. I just added some peroxide to the batch. It had a small bit of mold, but like I said, no smell. I should say, it didn't have a bad smell. It does smell, like an old canvas tent for some reason...

Now that I mentioned it, I forgot to add peroxide to the new batch I made for my classroom. Better get on that!

So.... spooze would smell if you didn't use peroxide. Am I correct? Nice use of Francais there, mon ami.

TJR.

I believe it would smell, sans the peroxide. I'll tell you one thing, it smells, when you fire it. Inhad some drier remnants of the spooze, in the container, along the edge. It was still pliable, so I sculpted it into a kiln god head. Later in the day, the students asked, what was burning. I said the kiln was firing, but I couldn't think what they would be smelling. Nothing in the load had paper stuffed in it, or anything of the like. Then it hit me, we were smelling the paper pulp I add into the spooze, and the corn syrup, burning out. Sculpting out of that stuff, seems like it would be a great idea. It dries slowly, but is still very moldable... It's just a bit tacky, when handling.

And my French is limited to select phrases TJR. I took four years of Spanish, in high school. It's a bit more applicaple in The States.

Archived