Weeked Project- Flower Pot

I like your idea, and pretty much agree with Babs said. Also a little more texture on the clay and an iron wash rubbed off would give more interest. Also I would trim the bottom flush with the sides.

Over all I think it's a great spin on the flower pot theme. I might steal your idea and do something like it if you don't mind since the local senior citizens center has asked me to make flower pots for their fall show.

Your foot/bottom seems pretty attached to the wood ware board -- do you plan to cut it off and transfer it to another board to dry? If so, put it on paper, plastic so the planter can easily move while it is shrinking/drying. Otherwise, you run the risk of cracking due to the bottom getting stuck on the wood surface. Plus, the wood will draw moisture out faster than air, leading to uneven drying. With all of your joints, you'll want to dry the planter very slowly and evenly.

Agree with Babs that you need some variation in height to give the planter more visual interest.

If you make it through drying without cracking, then your next challenge will be surviving bisque firing without cracking. The planter looks to be fairly good size. Think about making some slats the same thickness of your planter bottom and putting those under the planter so it is off the kiln shelf. That will allow for more even heating, movement during shrinking/expansion/shrinking during firing, and even cooling. Then, use the same slats for your glaze firing.

How thin does your foot become at the edge . . . too thin and it will chip easily. Is that foot necessary or could you just trim the bottom up to where the walls meet the bottom and have an organic look? Any holes in the bottom for drainage?

Bob, go ahead and have fun with it... Im glad you like the idea, thanks...

Bciskepottery - the bottom has been cut away from the wood but it is to wet to move just yet.. I am wanting to move it to a safer surface as soon as I feel it is safe.. Seems, all seems were made by folding a slab then dried to firm up, there are 3 folded slabs that make the pot.. all slabs were set to the bottom then pinched upwards to the top.. after It was dry enough on sunday morning, I went back into the inside and removed the extra clay wall on the inner bottom of the pot, less clay, less weight and room for more soil.. Holes in the bottom for drainage, no not yet, again the bottom is pretty soft and im scared to move it...

Drying, well when im home I take the plastic off of it so I can watch for cracks.. I had 1 crack on the inside of the pot there 2 rolls met, it was a easy fix because it was a part that was taken away.. I am taking my time to dry it out, no hurry...

Foot, yea I am taking that off. I don't like the look of it.. I will probably make a foot for the bottom and get it up off the ground a little for drainage..

Oldlady- hmmm I dunno...

This flower pot idea is In the rough stages but I plan on making a lot more... My building style and technique will only get better as I make more, your ideas and advice are really appreciated and help me "see" pottery better... Thanks

Spooze-

A repair medium for bone-dry greenware, made of equal parts vinegar and corn syrup mixed with dry powdered claybody to the desired consistency. Source: Clay: A Studio Handbook

from CAD.Thanks

got it moved to a piece of plastic , bottom is trimmed, a few lil pots lowered a bit and put some designs in... still debating the center high rise lol, i think i will when i get off work in the morning...

Archived