Help! Replacing An Element!

Hey folks !

Hoping someone can help me out! I'm replacing an element in my kiln for the first time.

Everything was going smoothly - I removed the old element and put in the new one but i can't for the life of me loosen the barrel connector (I think that's what it's called) from the electrical wire running from the switch. I need to loosen it to remove the old element wire still inside and to make the electric wire make contact with the element. I'll take a pic and attach it below.

It's a barrel connector with a screw in it to keep it tight and I can't loosen it at all!!

Is it safe to use a lubricant of some sort on the connector? If so, which brand?

My supplier is already closed for the weekend so I can't go to them for help.

I've gashed up my fingers from the screw driver and pliers slipping lol.

Any help would be super appreciated. I have a massive show coming up and I'm falling behind.

Thanks so much!!!

post-7133-0-68841400-1399069957_thumb.jpg

post-7133-0-68841400-1399069957_thumb.jpg

You could try putting some WD40 on there and letting it soak for a while to loosen it up. I've actually had one side of the screw head break off before. If that happens, just cut it off and replace it with another connector. If you don't have one you could always use a nut and bolt with washers.

Hey Neil!

So wd40 is safe to use?? It won't start a fire or something awful lol

I've never done something on a piece of equipment that fires over 2000 degrees so I'm a little terrified of messing this up.

Thanks for the fast response!

If you use barrel connectors you should not use those from the Hardware Store since they are not rated for high temp. A simple nut and bolt, like a #10 would work fine though. Just make a loop in the element pigtail right against the ceramic insulator, put the bolt through it, wrap the wire around the bolt, and tighten it up with a nut. Sandwich the element and wire between washers. Use stainless hardware if you can find it.

make things a little easier holding it by using a pair of vise grips. I had one of these stick on a kiln that was not an L&l years ago, dang screw broke. I drilled it out and use an extractor to remove the pieces. Then used a new screw.

Used vice grips and the whole thing slipped and I gashed my finger with the screw driver. I also chipped the screw head a bit. Fun times.

WD-40 didn't work. I'll try calling my supplier in the morning - maybe someone can help there.

WD 40 should work but it's not the best penetrating oil as it was originally invented to displace water. LPS or Kroil have actual penetrating oils that if left at least overnight will give you a chance to remove it. Wipe off the excess. Do you have a small pair of vise grips? Bigger vise grips won't grab a grub screw head that small easily. (bigger vise grips will just mush the head into a cone) Use a pair of pliers or second pair of vice grips to hold the barrel. 

The simplest way might be to just cut off the wire if you will have enough left to make a new connection. Another option would be to drill it out like Pres suggested.

Thanks everyone - went to my supplier this am and got new element connectors! Much easier! Now to do a test fire....

Paragon recommends new barrel element connectors anyway when changing an element. It is easier than using the old ones. Make sure the element connectors are very tight. Otherwise the element can burn out at the connector.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P.

Archived