Sign in to follow this  
hershey8

How Old Can Balls Get Before I Throw?

hershey8    13

Sometimes I'm not much of a multi-tasker; I like to get one thing out of the way and move on to the next chore. This practice leaves me with more balls than I can throw in a day. How long can the balls be stored (covered in plastic), before they become un-throwable? A day, a week, a month? Please say "a month." Most of the balls I am using are between 1 and 3 pounds and are stoneware. Some days I get up and just want to throw, without doing all the prep work. Is this a mistake?    ja

neilestrick    1,379

Wedging can lose its effect to a noticeable degree within a day. But if you keep it wrapped really well, it should work fine. Not perfect, but not so bad that you'll necessarily need to wedge again. Like High said, an extra cone or two will do the trick.

Denice    243

It never crossed my mine but at 61 I'm still a little naive, perhaps it's a male thought process.   Denice

Pres    896

I have clay in the basement right now that was wedged and put into balls last summer. These are usually about 10# as I throw off the hump when doing chalices. I pull one out now and again, wedge it for about 50 turns, and then use it. When throwing stems, and small thin cups with the stoneware I find that the aging wrapped tightly in plastic with a dam rag in an outer bag works really well. Smelly, but very earthy. So store for a month or more, wedge a bit and use.