I just bought a whistle

Dear All,

Have you ever thought of all the safety precautions you take in the set-up and running of your studio? Like most of us, I am guessing you have the usual (electrical specifications, proper grounding/kiln ventilation, power bar, gloves, goggles, glaze mixing masks, clearly labelled identification of toxic materials, fire extinguishers, shut down mechanism for your electricity etc.) to prevent accidents.

But I have to tell you, it has always worried me about what would when working in my inner studio within my garage (not attached to my home), if while groovin to my music or listening to some intense radio dialogue I could not hear someone enter my studio space??

Do know I do not carry a cell phone. I do not have a land line in the the garage. For the most part, I work with my studio door locked--but not always. I do own a cell phone but it is for the road and emergency purposes while traveling. The whole concept of bringing it into my studio is somewhat antithetical to the peaceful place I want my studio to be.

But the other day, when I was out at Mountain Equipment Cooperative in Canada (a great sports store) I found this supersonic loud whistle. It cost $5.00. It is orange. It is supposed to be the loudest whistle made. I bought one. I have decided to put this whistle close to my wheel in case an intruder enters my space while I am in a zenned out process on the wheel. While not ideal it is at least something so that my neighbors can hear if some sort of kerfufful is happening in the studio. I know it is not perfect but it is at least an attempt to keep this area a little more safe for myself without paying a ton of money for home monitoring.

Do you have a plan for safety in your studio if it is in anyway out in the open or where you sometimes work without locked doors??? I know a whistle is not going to save my life but it is at least something.

Nelly

Dear All,

Have you ever thought of all the safety precautions you take in the set-up and running of your studio? Like most of us, I am guessing you have the usual (electrical specifications, proper grounding/kiln ventilation, power bar, gloves, goggles, glaze mixing masks, clearly labelled identification of toxic materials, fire extinguishers, shut down mechanism for your electricity etc.) to prevent accidents.

But I have to tell you, it has always worried me about what would when working in my inner studio within my garage (not attached to my home), if while groovin to my music or listening to some intense radio dialogue I could not hear someone enter my studio space??

Do know I do not carry a cell phone. I do not have a land line in the the garage. For the most part, I work with my studio door locked--but not always. I do own a cell phone but it is for the road and emergency purposes while traveling. The whole concept of bringing it into my studio is somewhat antithetical to the peaceful place I want my studio to be.

But the other day, when I was out at Mountain Equipment Cooperative in Canada (a great sports store) I found this supersonic loud whistle. It cost $5.00. It is orange. It is supposed to be the loudest whistle made. I bought one. I have decided to put this whistle close to my wheel in case an intruder enters my space while I am in a zenned out process on the wheel. While not ideal it is at least something so that my neighbors can hear if some sort of kerfufful is happening in the studio. I know it is not perfect but it is at least an attempt to keep this area a little more safe for myself without paying a ton of money for home monitoring.

Do you have a plan for safety in your studio if it is in anyway out in the open or where you sometimes work without locked doors??? I know a whistle is not going to save my life but it is at least something.

Nelly

Dear All,

Here is my whistle. I must have got it on sale.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/HealthSafety/OutdoorSafety/PRD~4002-238/all-weather-storm-safety-whistle.jsp

Nelly

Nelly even if your neighbors can't hear the whistle it may scare the intruder away. I live at the edge of town so it's almost like living in the country so it's a little isolated and break ins can be a problem. The first of Dec I was working in my studio and I heard a noisy car real close so I went to look for it and found the car pulled up in my long drive way trying to hide in some grasses. He must have seen me looking out the window because he tore down my driveway and sped away. I think I'll get one of those whistles what a great idea. Denice

Guest JBaymore

Hummmmmm............ This is where my study of Iaido (Japanese sword arts) might come in handy. ;)src="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif"> A katana being drawn out of it's saya (scabbard) is nothing to sneeze at.:blink:src="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif">

best,

..............john

PS: For the most part, I am a non-violent person :)src="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif"> .

When I lived in an urban area and walked alone, I considered a personal alarm. I went to the store to buy one but first took it outside to the busy parking lot and set off the alarm. No one even looked. So make sure your neighbors know what your whistle is for.

Park your vehicle close enough to the studio that you can set off your car alarm from inside. Then carry your keys in your pocket.

If your studio has a door that goes to another room or closet, consider putting a radio in there with it set to play a talk station. If someone shows up, tell them the guys are in the back room but busy cleaning their hunting gear. Seriously, I had a friend who was confined to a wheelchair and who, upon hearing someone break into her house, yelled to come on downstairs, as everyone was down there with her. The intruders left.

I am grateful the only intruders I think about are wildlife. Especially those pesky mosquitoes.

Dear All,

Nelly

I live in Middle Georgia, also known as The Heart of Darkness, so I keep a gun in my studio. I also use it as a clay tool to make shot glasses. http://jimsandefur.com/artwork/1923069_Making_Target_Plates.html

Jim

This is a bit creepY. Nelly, I have a cordless phone that I bring out to the studio when I am working. If I am doing something like trimming, I can answer the phone. If I am throwing, I cannot.

I was just checking the edge of my door frame to the studio, as the door had been sticking due to ice. You know-heat on the inside, cold on the outside. As I was looking at the door edge, I saw that SOMEONE HAD TRIED TO PRY IT OPEN ! There was a chip in the wood from a pry bar. I also have a dead bolt on both doors. I guess I will bar that street door from the inside at night. I don't have a lot of valuable stuff in there other than my work[ha,ha], but they could do a lot of damage if they start smashing things. Maybe I could attach my jumper cables to the door knob ala Home Alone.

Do you guys know what jumper cables are? I know Nelly does.

TJR.

This is a bit creepY. Nelly, I have a cordless phone that I bring out to the studio when I am working. If I am doing something like trimming, I can answer the phone. If I am throwing, I cannot.

I was just checking the edge of my door frame to the studio, as the door had been sticking due to ice. You know-heat on the inside, cold on the outside. As I was looking at the door edge, I saw that SOMEONE HAD TRIED TO PRY IT OPEN ! There was a chip in the wood from a pry bar. I also have a dead bolt on both doors. I guess I will bar that street door from the inside at night. I don't have a lot of valuable stuff in there other than my work[ha,ha], but they could do a lot of damage if they start smashing things. Maybe I could attach my jumper cables to the door knob ala Home Alone.

TJR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgqjTthzJOo&feature=player_detailpage

TJR.

http://www.youtube.c...ayer_detailpage

Dear TJR

Loved the video clip. Yes, absolutely I know what jumper cables are. You have all offered me some great suggestions beyond my whistle. Thank you one and all.

Nelly

Nelly, I recently rec'd a fire arm for a gift. I have an NRA sticker by the front door (my studio is in my home). The past few years my neighborhood has had numerous day-time break-ins. I'm also thinking of getting several containers of mace to place around the house. My friend, a police officer, says the best deterrent is a locked door. My house stays locked all day.

Nelly, I recently rec'd a fire arm for a gift. I have an NRA sticker by the front door (my studio is in my home). The past few years my neighborhood has had numerous day-time break-ins. I'm also thinking of getting several containers of mace to place around the house. My friend, a police officer, says the best deterrent is a locked door. My house stays locked all day.

Dear Wahine,

I found some mace on Amazon. I think this is a good suggestion as well. I will likely get some of this for sure. It looks really good to stun someone when needed. But like your friend says, a locked door is the best defense. I do have my whistle ready though close to my wheel.

Nelly

I'm not a paranoid gun person-I do own 3 spear guns for underwater fishing from when I was younger-no other firearms-my studio has never been locked. I love fireworks if that counts.

I will say I recall a guy who shot gunned his greenware back in school and brought it to critique .It was a bomb then and I still feel the same way about blasted pots W--t--well you know the rest. Never been a firearm fan my whole life-seems these days this is a real touchy subject

I have zero issues with hunters unless I'm hiking during season then its just a bad idea being out there. Guns and pots bad mix also.

I like the whistle as I have that exact whistle on my dive gear Nelly . Its great to use when the current keeps you from making the boat after a dive.

Mark

I'm not a paranoid gun person-I do own 3 spear guns for underwater fishing from when I was younger-no other firearms-my studio has never been locked. I love fireworks if that counts.

I will say I recall a guy who shot gunned his greenware back in school and brought it to critique .It was a bomb then and I still feel the same way about blasted pots W--t--well you know the rest. Never been a firearm fan my whole life-seems these days this is a real touchy subject

I have zero issues with hunters unless I'm hiking during season then its just a bad idea being out there. Guns and pots bad mix also.

I like the whistle as I have that exact whistle on my dive gear Nelly . Its great to use when the current keeps you from making the boat after a dive.

Mark

Dear Mark,

I used to dive. Naui certified. Been many years since I have done this sport. But I do recall the thrill. To be honest, I haven't blown it loudly yet. But it is hanging close to the wheel until I decide a safe place to put it that is out of sight. In the mean time I will do the mace thing as well and lock the doors. I expect to buy a new car in the spring or fall. The idea of having the keys and the alarm in my pocket is also a great suggestion. But again, the best idea yet is to simply lock the door. Thanks Mark.

Nelly

Archived