Transporting from vehicle to setup

It seems we chose wares that are not very easy to transport! I am disabled and have to find a better way.

i am 3 weeks into recovery from hurting myself carrying too much to do a market show. I knew going into it I would have several down days afterward, but on top of the obvious, I really injured my upper back, shoulders and neck.

So for those of you who sell at markets, what do you use to transport everything from car to setup space & back again? I have shown this year at locations with a mix of sidewalk curbs, soil, gravel. I need a tool which will work/roll on those combinations.

Does anyone here use a Rock N Roller cart?

I have a speciality dolly with a 2-1/2 foot fold out tongue thats made of steel as it can hold lots of boxes. I have done shows since the 70s with this-It is as key as my Van as my kiln as my wheel for show-speaking of which I'm off on a 1000 mile one way drive in am to show.

Mark

I purchased a Rubermaid cart with a pull handle and four wheels from Home Depot for like $70 or so. It has a 3' X 2' platform and a capacity of 500lbs. I folds flat and I load it up and strap it all down with a ratchet strap. not the most elegant setup, but I can get everything in two trips and it pulls easily.

Here is the link

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100207528/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=rubermaid+cart&storeId=10051

I use the Rock N Roller, and love it. It is designed for musicians and all of their heavy gear. It comes in a few sizes, and they can move 500lbs at a time. My favorite part is that they fold up pretty small so it doesn't take very much space in my car.

I used to have the R6, but recently decided I wanted a larger cart, so I got an R8. (gave the R6 to another potter who is just starting to do big shows)

This website is the best for comparing the different Rock N Roller models ...

http://rocknroller-multicart.myshopify.com/

... but I found several other websites that sell these for much cheaper. I bought my R8 for $150 from Guitar Center.

Mea

If You are going over various surfaces you might consider the type of tire or caster your cart will need.

As opposed to a smooth warehouse floor where a hard wheel would make sense, you might want to have softer tire that can take small bumps and uneven surfaces.

Good luck! :)

Great feedback. I should have said earlier that one that folds down is very important (thanks Mea-- I am looking at the R6 and R8; I had looked at that site; will check prices on your rec. Amazon also sells them).

I looked at the Rubbermaid also. Thanks, Brian/

Yes, Mark. The wheels are very important. That is why what I already have does not work.

Yes I can take a photo and post but this dolly is a hard nut to find. I suggest a dolly that has 2 large rubber air filled tires and an aluminum frame-The rockers and the like have another set of smaller wheels which work great on cement floors but will not roll wheel on gravel or soft grass and do not jump curbs well. But you do not have to use them that way as they are convertible-another good function.Mine works well with Banana and apple boxes or plastic tubs and handles all rough ground with ease-It was from Graingers ( a mail order industrial supply store) long ago.

All these dolly's take up space in vehicle-I had a special receiver built that holds mine in my Van square receiver hitch off the back and locks to hitch. If I had to by one today I'd go aluminum for less weight.

Mark

When needed, which is rare, I use a two wheel hand truck with big air-filled tires. It'll roll over curbs and grass and rocks with ease. I can fit three of my big plastic tubs on it at a time. I'm just not a fan of the four wheel carts like the rocknroller because the smaller wheels tend to bog down and don't make for a very smooth ride. I mostly do outdoor shows, so I can usually just pull my truck up close and unload. I've got an indoor show this weekend that I'll be using the hand truck for.

Like Neil, I use the two wheel hand truck, purchased at Canadian Tire, but Home Depot or Menards have them.I only do indoor shows, so gravel is not an issue, but I have negotiated curbs with ease. The tires are big neumatic tires[air filled].

TJR

I show regularly at farmers market where I can drive into deliver at the moment. But over the next two years big changes with our site getting a huge revamp. This winter I will construct something, which will probably be the final option. Lowes in my area, the go to store, has casters and wood etc. etc. I have everything in plastic storage containers but need to wheel them to final site. Be flexible. If you're in a local Farmer's Market ask your market manager to petition his Board to buy in a couple of carts. We're going to do that.

I use a convertible hand truck.....can lay down or stand up, depending on the situation. Large wheels roll smoothly through grass or gravel. The handle comes off so it fits in the vehicle nicely. I can usually strap down all of my boxes and make one trip. 800 lb capacity so it'll haul a lot and the price was right at less than $100.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100071520/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=dolly&storeId=10051#.UHAy1o5CgTM

All the big box store sell aluminum convertible 4 wheel dolly's made in china for 100$ and for most this is the way to go.

Mine is old school and has a huge fold down tongue that works well for my boxes-Here it is at show on Sunday.

I to only do outdoor shows-I long ago gave up indoor venues. I also live where winter is milder.

Mark

• 2 months later...

Just a FU. I've done several events using a Rock n Roller that I purchased from "Electric Guitars" via Amazon. $129. Free shipping. I couldn't be happier with it-- used on broken concrete, grass. When I purchased it, I needed it to be on schedule, and emailed the company (Electric Guitar). their reply was very prompt, and they kept me updated; very responsible.

• 3 months later...
Guest scott312

Does anyone here use a Rock N Roller cart?

No, but I think the R8 would work well and the price seems right. Look likes a good dolly.

Archived