Photo

Do you have a favorite ceramic surfacing technique that you use to enhance most of your work? ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DPancioli

DPancioli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

Have you settled on one particular surfacing technique to enhance your work?

I teach my students six or seven surface techniques so that they might find one in
particular that they like. They experience sgraffito through slip, Mishima, Slip printing
(slip on paper that is rolled onto the surface), Paper pattern, and Roller pattern.
Diana Pancioli
Potters Council Board Member
dianamp@comcast.net
dianapancioli.com

#2 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

I decorate all my work with on glaze brush decoration. I am firing stoneware and porcelain and use a lot of matt glazes with cobalt and iron brush work. I started out by practising with a Japanese bamboo brush and India ink on newspaper. I also do a lot of banding.To see me in action, go to
youtube In Plain View Winnipeg.ca Tom Roberts
TJR.

#3 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Nice you tube Tom. I enjoyed watching you work..especially left handed. I am left handed too.
Thanks for sharing.
Marcia

#4 madhavi kolte

madhavi kolte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Yes, I use the coil technique to enhance the surface of my works.

#5 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

Nice you tube Tom. I enjoyed watching you work..especially left handed. I am left handed too.
Thanks for sharing.
Marcia

Marcia;
Did you know that Michael Cardew was left-handed. The left hand is the important shaping hand for making bowls. One of the few times we have an advantage.
Tom[TJR].

#6 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:10 PM

Nice video, Tom. Never thought of leftys having an advantage with bowls. Of course if you reverse the wheel you don't. I'm having to learn to throw some parts in reverse so that the spiral movement up my lidded jars continues through the lid. Not easy.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#7 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

I'm having to learn to throw some parts in reverse so that the spiral movement up my lidded jars continues through the lid. Not easy.

Jim,

Move to Japan or Korea to study for a year. ;)

best,

............................john
John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#8 Maureen@ shack art studios

Maureen@ shack art studios

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationElmwood, TN

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

I love to use peach Pitts or tree bark to surface my animal sculptures.
Maureen Hogan
shack art studios
http://www.shackartstudios.com/

#9 JLowes

JLowes

Clay Doodler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia area

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

I am a fan of chattering. Then I get to fill in the chatter marks and create some colorful moments. I make my own tobikanna (chattering tool) from pallet strapping, as well as some trimming tools.

John

#10 nancylee

nancylee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

I decorate all my work with on glaze brush decoration. I am firing stoneware and porcelain and use a lot of matt glazes with cobalt and iron brush work. I started out by practising with a Japanese bamboo brush and India ink on newspaper. I also do a lot of banding.To see me in action, go to
youtube In Plain View Winnipeg.ca Tom Roberts
TJR.

Great video, Tom! Is that dark color you paint with a glaze, underglaze, oxide? Iand were they greenware? When yopitot them in the kiln, they looked like they were pai Ted, but didn't have a glaze over the entire surface. I am trying to figure how different glazes look when fired. Thanks for anyhekp,
Nancy
Nancy
Northern Woods Pottery
www.northernwoodsstudio.blogspot.com

#11 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

youtube In Plain View Winnipeg.ca Tom Roberts http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be
TJR.

Great video, Tom! Is that dark color you paint with a glaze, underglaze, oxide? Iand were they greenware? When yopitot them in the kiln, they looked like they were pai Ted, but didn't have a glaze over the entire surface. I am trying to figure how different glazes look when fired. Thanks for anyhekp,
Nancy

Nancylee;
I replied directly to you, but realize that other enquiring minds may want to know. The pots in the video are glazed, usually a white matt, then the decoration is painted on top of the unfired glaze. I fire in the gas kiln. In the vid you see me loading into an electric. This was just the film makers idea for continuity.
TJR

#12 Nelly

Nelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

youtube In Plain View Winnipeg.ca Tom Roberts http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be
TJR.

Nancy

Nancylee;
I replied directly to you, but realize that other enquiring minds may want to know. The pots in the video are glazed, usually a white matt, then the decoration is painted on top of the unfired glaze. I fire in the gas kiln. In the vid you see me loading into an electric. This was just the film makers idea for continuity.
TJR

#13 Nelly

Nelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

Dear Tom,

I agree, really great video. You make me proud that you are a Canadian potter. That's a lot of stairs you have to climb to get to your studio. I must say, I do like your fish. Nice and simple but strong decoration. I remember once hearing Tony Clennell say "if you are going to make a mark on a pot do it with conviction--make it strong." Your brush strokes are strong and yet they compliment your vessels. Again, thank you for sharing that with us.

Nelly

#14 SmartsyArtsy

SmartsyArtsy

Chris Seminara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:44 AM

I am a hoarder of produce bags and use them in various ways to apply texture. Then I use oxide washes and glaze to emphasize some of the texture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users