Do you have a favorite ceramic surfacing technique that you use to enhance most of your work? ?

Have you settled on one particular surfacing technique to enhance your work?

I teach my students six or seven surface techniques so that they might find one in

particular that they like. They experience sgraffito through slip, Mishima, Slip printing

(slip on paper that is rolled onto the surface), Paper pattern, and Roller pattern.

I decorate all my work with on glaze brush decoration. I am firing stoneware and porcelain and use a lot of matt glazes with cobalt and iron brush work. I started out by practising with a Japanese bamboo brush and India ink on newspaper. I also do a lot of banding.To see me in action, go to

youtube In Plain View Winnipeg.ca Tom Roberts

TJR.

Nice you tube Tom. I enjoyed watching you work..especially left handed. I am left handed too.

Thanks for sharing.

Marcia

Marcia;

Did you know that Michael Cardew was left-handed. The left hand is the important shaping hand for making bowls. One of the few times we have an advantage.

Tom[TJR].

Guest JBaymore
I'm having to learn to throw some parts in reverse so that the spiral movement up my lidded jars continues through the lid. Not easy.

Jim,

Move to Japan or Korea to study for a year. ;)

best,

............................john

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I decorate all my work with on glaze brush decoration. I am firing stoneware and porcelain and use a lot of matt glazes with cobalt and iron brush work. I started out by practising with a Japanese bamboo brush and India ink on newspaper. I also do a lot of banding.To see me in action, go to

TJR.

Great video, Tom! Is that dark color you paint with a glaze, underglaze, oxide? Iand were they greenware? When yopitot them in the kiln, they looked like they were pai Ted, but didn't have a glaze over the entire surface. I am trying to figure how different glazes look when fired. Thanks for anyhekp,

Nancy

TJR.

Great video, Tom! Is that dark color you paint with a glaze, underglaze, oxide? Iand were they greenware? When yopitot them in the kiln, they looked like they were pai Ted, but didn't have a glaze over the entire surface. I am trying to figure how different glazes look when fired. Thanks for anyhekp,

Nancy

Nancylee;

I replied directly to you, but realize that other enquiring minds may want to know. The pots in the video are glazed, usually a white matt, then the decoration is painted on top of the unfired glaze. I fire in the gas kiln. In the vid you see me loading into an electric. This was just the film makers idea for continuity.

TJR

TJR.

Nancy

Nancylee;

I replied directly to you, but realize that other enquiring minds may want to know. The pots in the video are glazed, usually a white matt, then the decoration is painted on top of the unfired glaze. I fire in the gas kiln. In the vid you see me loading into an electric. This was just the film makers idea for continuity.

TJR

Dear Tom,

I agree, really great video. You make me proud that you are a Canadian potter. That's a lot of stairs you have to climb to get to your studio. I must say, I do like your fish. Nice and simple but strong decoration. I remember once hearing Tony Clennell say "if you are going to make a mark on a pot do it with conviction--make it strong." Your brush strokes are strong and yet they compliment your vessels. Again, thank you for sharing that with us.

Nelly

Archived