Hi I would like to do a “ one firing “ of AB porcelain slab ( btw....so far so good with previous tips used for drying and warpage  thank you ALL again )

Ive mixed black stain with same clay body And drawn a square on slab My question is could I still fire “ one firing “ with a brush on glaze just on the black square 

Hope this makes ( some ) sense ?

kind regards nicky

I once fire crystalline glaze all the time. I use a very simple ramp: 160F an hour to peak, with 10 minute hold. Yes it takes longer, but I do not have to worry about inversion temps, easier on the elements, and draws less power. I make my own (very pure) porcelain: so I do not have to worry about organics or iron reduction.i make my own glaze suspender as well: which gives me the needed clay source in the glaze. Single fire glazes do better with 5% clay additions: EPK will work just fine. 

T

8 minutes ago, glazenerd said:

I make my own (very pure) porcelain: so I do not have to worry about organics or iron reduction.i make my own glaze suspender as well: which gives me the needed clay source in the glaze.

T

You are the "Walter White" of the clay body world...

nicky,   sometimes we have too much education and no practical knowledge.   single firing has been done for centuries.  whatever it is that you are afraid of is not enough to prevent your trying it.  the piece, no matter how precious to you, is only clay.  the world will not end if it breaks and if you make a second one, you will have learned from the experience.

just go slowly.   silp is clay.  it simply makes the clay you started with a little thicker, the amount of clay you have brushed on.  nothing scary there, right?

so you put glaze over that square and not the rest for some reason of your own.  still nothing scary. 

just fire it slowly.   i do not know what kind of kiln you have  or what temperature you want to reach but just start slowly, continue slowly and it should come out fine.  slowly all the way to the end.   i have a kiln that only has a sitter.  i fill it very full, start out on low on the bottom switch for an hour, low on the second switch for a second hour, low on the top switch for a third hour.   then medium, first the bottom for an hour, then the middle for an hour and finally the top at medium for an hour.    when you start using high, do it the same way.   if you have left the peepholes empty, you can put them in now.  so after 9 hours you have all switches on high.    my kiln, its size, its usually very heavy load will turn off in another few hours.  cone 6 is about 12 to 14 hours depending on the age of the elements.

sometimes we just cannot predict the future with total certainty.

I will glaze a piece of greenware and stick it in a firing when I need to fill the kiln.   It is usually just glaze I have sitting around,  sometimes I get pin holing but usually have good luck.   I prefer to work with bisque.    Denice

@oldlady I just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU  Just opened kiln and am VERY HAPPY and EXCITED with the results !!!! Def my best firing results The black slip ( same porcelain body)  with 3 coats turned out perfectly Tho with one thin brush  stoke turned out dark green -ish (???)And the porcelain slabs ( previous post ) warped only slightly I think I just needed to hear “ nothing scary “ :-))

Thank you and all others who also helped with porcelain slab drying

One very happy new potter lol

you are welcome!     it is the occasional thank you that keeps me answering posted questions.

do you dry your porcelain on drywall, sheetrock, other names for the same product?   it is an easy way to keep things flat.  overnight between 2 pieces, then flip the flattened porcelain onto a new sheet and cover with another dry piece.  repeat until  you can see the color change.  then one piece under the porcelain should be enough.

Archived