Advice on Kiln I Found

killacarly

It looks to be in reasonably good shape. The cone supports for the kiln sitter are missing, but easily replaced. There is a chunk missing from the bottom edge of the bricks, but that's not the end of the world either. While the stated dimensions may be correct for overall size, the interior dimensions are 18" wide *meaning the widest diameter piece you can fire is about 15" on the top shelf with no obstructing posts, or 10" on a lower shelf allowing for the space taken up by the posts. The total inside height is about 23", but the center ring is an unpowered blank ring just to create a bit more height inside. However, that means the heating power of the kiln is diluted a bit, so it might have some trouble reaching a full cone 10 despite the official maximum rating. Mid-fire should be okay. It is a manually controlled kiln with a kiln sitter safety shutoff device. You will need to manually turn up the heating controls periodically during a firing, and personally shut it off when the cone packs inside (and visible through a peephole) indicate it is done. The electrical wattage (6400W) means you will need to install a 40 amp circuit for it. (Theoretically, it draws less than 30 amps, but the electric code requires a circuit with a 25% safety margin, for which the next size up is 40A). If the kiln comes with the shelves shown in the picture (and hopefully a selection of posts too), $200 is a very good price, if you are willing to learn how to fire a kiln without an electronic controller.

12 hours ago, Dick White said:

It looks to be in reasonably good shape. The cone supports for the kiln sitter are missing, but easily replaced. There is a chunk missing from the bottom edge of the bricks, but that's not the end of the world either. While the stated dimensions may be correct for overall size, the interior dimensions are 18" wide *meaning the widest diameter piece you can fire is about 15" on the top shelf with no obstructing posts, or 10" on a lower shelf allowing for the space taken up by the posts. The total inside height is about 23", but the center ring is an unpowered blank ring just to create a bit more height inside. However, that means the heating power of the kiln is diluted a bit, so it might have some trouble reaching a full cone 10 despite the official maximum rating. Mid-fire should be okay. It is a manually controlled kiln with a kiln sitter safety shutoff device. You will need to manually turn up the heating controls periodically during a firing, and personally shut it off when the cone packs inside (and visible through a peephole) indicate it is done. The electrical wattage (6400W) means you will need to install a 40 amp circuit for it. (Theoretically, it draws less than 30 amps, but the electric code requires a circuit with a 25% safety margin, for which the next size up is 40A). If the kiln comes with the shelves shown in the picture (and hopefully a selection of posts too), $200 is a very good price, if you are willing to learn how to fire a kiln without an electronic controller.

What about the blank ring? I fire to cone 6, so I'm not sure this is the right one for me. Is there anyway to remove it?

11 hours ago, neilestrick said:

It's in really good condition. Even if it needs new elements it's a good price. The middle ring that doesn't have elements will know the max temp down to cone 1. You'll want to remove it if you're planning on firing any hotter than that. I'd buy it.

What about the blank ring? I fire to cone 6, so I'm not sure this is the right one for me. Is there anyway to remove it?

Archived