Hudson River Clay

GreyBird

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Pieter Mostert said:

That last tile looks like a nice fake ash glaze. If your aim is to work with mostly local materials, you could try replace the Whiting with washed wood ash, but that's a whole other rabbit hole.

I do have wood ash, it's not washed but it's sifted through a fine screen :) Definitely will give it a go, Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I skimmed over this original post, looking for primitive pottery pit firing tips w my local clay, and I'm a noob and right away it got toooo technical for me just yet. Maybe at a later time. But for now, I have a pit dug out in my yard, some grey clay also dug from out in my yard, and I'm just tryin to figure out how the Natives did it, bc obviously the stuff lasts and lasts bc there are still pieces around from caveman days.  And Mexico, Africa, India still fire pottery with fire and make it work, so.... 

• 1 month later...

Hi all!...

So I just unloaded the kiln and got three pieces out of the whole load that I am happy with. For me that's not too bad as I am still experimenting with decorating techniques and also this Hudson River clay. It seams, even though you get good test tile results, that is no guarantee the glaze will perform on a a real piece. The attached pic is of a bottle that was glazes with the Hudson 103010 which is shown in the test tile just in front of it. This result is so far from the test tile, it looks to me I need to redo the test and remix the batch. I must have made a mistake somewhere....

IMG-3292.JPG

I had the grand idea to decorate these cups with a painted spot with colorful dots in it in the midst of the contrasting glaze.... One of those ideas that only worked out in my head. Not at all happy with the results but a lot was learned so not a total loss:

IMG-3290.jpeg

These are what I consider to be my three successes :) the bottle is Old Gold Hudson with painted underglaze dot accents and a few lines of a blue green glaze brush lines accents. The Squid Vase or "Octo Vase" has Hudson 30 sprayed on with cobalt green lightly sprayed on the top half to highlight the tentacles. Could have used a bit more of that maybe. The little jar is just underglaze with butterscotch onto and melted glass but at least I didn't ruin it with my crazy decorating ideas. LOL:

IMG_3284.jpeg

Here is each a bit larger... Well, Hmmmm. I'm trying to attach files that I have reduced all the way down to 100 & 200kb but I keep getting the pop-up which tells me I'm only allowed tp upload like 1000kb. Is that per day or per entry? Does anyone know?

Always annoying to have great test tiles that don't match the finished pieces. Several variables, though, to account for the differences: Vertical vs horizontal surfaces, glaze application/thickness, location in the kiln, surrounding pieces   I try to photograph new or experimental work while it's still in the kiln (much cheaper to do now than before digital) to be able to use  those factors for puzzling out "What Happened??!??

Love your octopus :) 

18 minutes ago, Benzine said:

So basically, the culmination of those old nautical illustrations, of the giant squid, fighting the whale.  Cephalopods: 1    Mammals: 0

I wish I could claim such a knowledgeable origin to the idea behind the piece, but I can not. I just did what I felt to do and there you have it. LOL.

Archived