Paragon DTC 100C bought used. Easy way to test?

I bought a used Paragon DTC 100C, but am not sure it works.  Is there an easy and safe way to test it without buying a stand or other items I will not use if it does not work. We have 220 in my shop, cement floors, tons of space.  I will upload photos when I am at my computer.  They are too big to load from my phone.  Thanks!

You can't just plug it in to test it. It'll need to go through a center tap transformer that knocks the 240 volt AC power down to 24 volt DC. You'll also need to hook up thermocouple- it won't run without it- probably a type K, that's what most are set up for. For the purposes of testing it won't really matter, though. At that point you could start it up and use a meter to test the outputs, which are 12V DC. If you've got an existing kiln with a controller, you could swap it out for testing.

If you are going to fire it without a stand it will need some soft bricks or hard bricks under it if you plan on getting it really hot. Concrete is not not made for heat and your could screw that up easy at higher  temperature.

Ack, so much for getting this thing tested before my return window runs out.  *grin*

Mark, I have some cinderblocks I can prop it on.  I would not fire it up on cement either.  Good reminder!  I was hoping I could at least plug it in and test out the panel, but neilestrick is talking about a center tap transformer and I have no idea about that.  Ack.  And a thermocouple.  We run our plasma torch off the 220 in the shop and the lift for the cars, but that's all I know about the electrics.  The unit came with a standard plug running from the unit, and an additional cable which matches the plug in our 220 transformer, but may not be what I really need?

Here are photos of the unit just in case anyone has some other information I could use to figure out how to test this sucker.  Thanks for the responses!

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

Think there was some confusion here, @Hummingbirdhillhomestead, the Paragon DTC 100C is the name of the electronic kiln controller so it sounded like you just bought that and not the kiln it came attached to. This is common with kiln sitters too, people often give the sitter make rather than the kiln itself.

For safety, if you have a multi meter (ohm meter)check to make sure there are no shorts between the 2 hot wires and ground and that the ground is actually grounded to the kiln. Raise it up like Mark said then plug it in and give it a try. Plug it directly into an outlet, ideally you would hard wire it in. You want to see all the elements glow orange.

That kiln only draws 15 amps at 240V-

That means if you keep it you should run it on a 20 amp circuit breaker (that gives you 25% above for safety) with #12 size wire (regular house wire for many of us)-which seems so small to me so that kiln must be very small.

Neil is better with the exact setup so lets see what he says as he is the electric kiln guy

is there an extra ring of brick in the center that does not have wires running around inside it?  that would be called a blank ring and is sometimes used for gaining height.  the problem is that it will not allow the kiln to reach max temperature so if you have a blank ring, call arnold.  call him anyway so you can ask anything else you need to know.  the photo angle makes it appear taller than a #66 is.    TNF in the name only means it has an electronic controller.   i have a model A66 and it is only 13 inches deep inside.  it takes only a 13 inch shelf so there is not much room inside that kiln.   

hope you got a bargain.

Archived