Okay well the motor and controller have been replaced, and it sounded perfectly fine for about a week. It has since started making the same metallic vibrating noise, I will attach another video. There is a whine which sounds normal to me, but at certain speeds something metal is vibrating. I have reason to believe it’s the housing for the brushes, or possible the brushes themselves but I can’t say for sure.  It sounds too metallic to be the brushes themselves. https://youtu.be/Gs1LZ5-SJoA

Thanks Neil, but I’m still not exactly sure how to use one of those. I got one a few weeks ago but have been hesitant to stick it in the motor. You leave the brush in place and put the stick next to it? Or take the brush out and put the stick in where the brush was? Do you have the motor turned on and rotating or off and manually spin it? 

Hi again,

If he does the commutator stone, would it void his warranty?

I am thinking about buying a Skutt wheel and this problem with the noise really makes me hesitate. I do not notice on your video that it sounds very noticeable a sound to me until the very end.  Having said this, I do not own any wheel and work on brents at the college which all sound worse than your video.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. That's just the sound of an electric motor at work as I may have expressed.

It's not suppose to be completely silent. It's probably part of the Skutt using a sturdier motor than others as well.

There may be some magnet to rotor contact which might recede. I reckon that's what this commutator stone is for. Never used one myself though.

You leave the brush in place and put the stick next to it? Or take the brush out and put the stick in where the brush was? Do you have the motor turned on and rotating or off and manually spin it? )

I would manually spin it in brush hole with all power turned off as thats the area that the brush hits. Pull a brush and spin the head or belt.It cleans the copper slightly.Should not void anything

Sounds 'bout the same as my Skutt, however, there's an additional layer of yeck sound kicks in ~:05-:10 and again later as you come off the gas.

I've put a few hours on mine since bringing it home; just noticed that clockwise (how I throw) is quieter than cclockwise now, where was about the same initially.

My garage boombox picks up some e noise from the Skutt when tuned to public radio tho' arrg! Is my Skutt a closeminded nonprogressive?

On 6/9/2018 at 6:46 AM, Hulk said:

Sounds 'bout the same as my Skutt, however, there's an additional layer of yeck sound kicks in ~:05-:10 and again later as you come off the gas.

I've put a few hours on mine since bringing it home; just noticed that clockwise (how I throw) is quieter than cclockwise now, where was about the same initially.

My garage boombox picks up some e noise from the Skutt when tuned to public radio tho' arrg! Is my Skutt a closeminded nonprogressive?

Ha hey! Mine does somewhat the same. My FM receiver's volume goes down when I step on the gas...dangit.

For radia interférence issues with motors try these

https://www.amazon.com/Ferrite-Black-Noise-Suppressor-Clip-20Pcs/dp/B078SNR9XB/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1528762475&sr=8-14&keywords=magnetic+interference+filter

You put the right size over the cord near the motor-they sometimes work great other times not at all-cheap trick when they work.

Sounds like these wheels have no noise suppression built into the controller. I also wonder why the communicator needs cleaning so much? Never had to clean one of mine?

Edited by Mark C.

13 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Sounds like these wheels have no noise suppression built into the controller. I also wonder why the communicator needs cleaning so much? Never had to clean one of mine?

These are different motors than Brent uses. The TS motors are much larger, continuous duty rated motors. The 1/3 hp is as big as a 1hp Brent. They take longer for everything in the motor to get settled in. The stone makes quick work of it.

1 hour ago, Mark C. said:

Try the ferric noise suppression clamps-cheap fix to radio interference .

So you'd use one on the wheel motor cable, then maybe another on the FM receiver power cord?

Yes I would put them on both-they are cheap.I have had them work great and also not at all. Its a 50/50 deal.

Not sure why TH wheels does not have a noise suppressor in the controller. SKutt took them over and is  known for cutting corners.