Thoughts on the Cress FX-23 P

nathanhinshaw

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
On 6/21/2018 at 6:31 AM, Richsound said:

Apparently the "P" model means that there is no vent near the bottom.   

I noticed that. Might be purchasing one of these used and was wondering about the vent situation/requirements. Plan to have it in a garage which has a whirly bird directly above the location but could have installed a vent if it had required. I know nothing about it other than it worked when last fired years ago and looks in good shape 

1 hour ago, Mokume said:

I noticed that. Might be purchasing one of these used and was wondering about the vent situation/requirements. Plan to have it in a garage which has a whirly bird directly above the location but could have installed a vent if it had required. I know nothing about it other than it worked when last fired years ago and looks in good shape 

You can attach any brand of downdraft vent to any kiln. Skutt vents just push up against the bottom of the kiln, the L&L can be screwed to the side of any kiln.

3 hours ago, neilestrick said:

You can attach any brand of downdraft vent to any kiln. Skutt vents just push up against the bottom of the kiln, the L&L can be screwed to the side of any kiln.

This is an older kiln so there is no spot for a vent, you would prop the lid open during early stages of firing. It would have to be an overhead vent. I find it strange they didn’t have venting 20 years ago. Not sure if this is an issue, will be in the garage but don’t want “toxins” getting in to my laundry. Previous owner didn’t appear to have any vent installed in the room it is in. 

7 hours ago, Mokume said:

This is an older kiln so there is no spot for a vent, you would prop the lid open during early stages of firing. It would have to be an overhead vent. I find it strange they didn’t have venting 20 years ago. Not sure if this is an issue, will be in the garage but don’t want “toxins” getting in to my laundry. Previous owner didn’t appear to have any vent installed in the room it is in. 

The L&L vent can be attached to the side of any kiln. You just drill the necessary small holes through the brick, usually two or three 1/4" holes, and screw the collection box to the outer jacket. With Skutt vents, as long as the kiln stand is an open frame you can use it. There doesn't need to be a special mounting area for either type.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and fairly new to ceramics. I am thinking of purchasing a used Cress FX-23p for $400. It was used for firing doll bodies and other porcelain items. It has not been used for awhile but worked fine while still making dolls. The seller said it can be tested on the spot (but I don't know what to do to test it). Here are a few photos, I have more if needed to see.

I have no idea how old this kiln is as it is hard to find information on this model.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

00808_14xwF4zgUQ_1200x900.jpg

00W0W_9I0GwQ2vi1W_1200x900.jpg

00404_54py9Z5RT0Z_1200x900.jpg

00H0H_3CVjFqeibg1_1200x900.jpg

It looks like it's in excellent shape. Are you sure that's not an fx 23-F? Those little metal plates can be illegible.  If so, here's a listing for one of those brand new.

https://products.cressmfg.com/item/ceramic-kilns/firemate-automatic-3/pn-1090

Does the 400 include any kiln furniture? 

That's a sweet little beginner kiln, and doll parts are typically fired at low fire temperatures, so I'm betting there's a lot of life in those elements if you want to go to cone 6.

5 hours ago, Denice said:

It looks like a good deal to me,  you won't need to add a vent in the garage as long as your not working in it at the same time.   Is there a window near the area you are planning to put it?  Denice

Thank you, Denice! There is a window but it is not where I would put the kiln. I'll have to talk to my husband about where to vent it. I could open the garage door a bit too. The only thing I do in the garage is laundry so I wouldn't be out there much.

3 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

It looks like it's in excellent shape. Are you sure that's not an fx 23-F? Those little metal plates can be illegible.  If so, here's a listing for one of those brand new.

https://products.cressmfg.com/item/ceramic-kilns/firemate-automatic-3/pn-1090

Does the 400 include any kiln furniture? 

That's a sweet little beginner kiln, and doll parts are typically fired at low fire temperatures, so I'm betting there's a lot of life in those elements if you want to go to cone 6.

01111_3RFPT2eQbS1_1200x900-2.jpg

00s0s_bhMShKpe1lE_1200x900-2.jpg

01515_71TkWUeMOpR_1200x900-2.jpg

I purchase a kiln that was in bad shape for $100,  it came with boxes and boxes of stilts and several good shelves.   The kiln side walls and floor were covered in glaze,  I saved the kiln sittter,  lid and the stilts and shelves.  The rest of it went into the trash.    Denice

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!

I did buy the kiln and in those boxes and some others are about 30 boxes of cones and shelf stilts among other items like sand.

The electrician came over yesterday and installed 220 and fired up the kiln and it works! Now, I  have to make  some items to fire. 

Thank you all again for your help. I'll post my results later!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 10:28 AM, JohnnyK said:

I've been using an Fx23P which I bought "slightly used" for $500 a few years ago. It sat in my garage until my B23HT got too tired to make it to ^6. I sold that kiln as a bisque/low fire kiln for $200 (it was around 40 yrs old) and started using the FX about a year ago after adding an Orton digital controller. After a few tests to get it dialed in, I couldn't be happier. It has a kiln sitter which drove me nuts the first few times I used the digital controller because I kept forgetting to set the timer and hitting the start button. The kiln has been great with temp distribution ...1/2 cone difference between the top and the bottom of the kiln despite the wide space in the middle between the elements.  No real complaints here!

How much was the Orton controller? Do you have a link or model number to the controller you purchased?

• 5 months later...

Archived