Gold Luster SilkScreen Decals Help

Hello everyone!

I've been doing a lot of research on silkscreen printing for underglaze decals but I'm not finding much of anything for how to make gold luster decals. I understand that with underglaze screen printing you pour the oil+underglaze onto of the silkscreen to color the decal, but how on earth is this achieved for gold luster decals? If anyone has some advice, books, sites, etc that I can read on how to make this, I would be so grateful!

Casi

I would think that the process would be the same, however lusters come in very small jars and cost a fortune, so you would either need a very small screen or a lot of $$$. The medium used to suspend the luster metal is highly toxic, and I would imagine it would be a real bear to clean the screen. I've never done it, so I'm just guessing here.

5 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I believe the gold lustre water slide decals that are commercially available are done with a special printer.  You can send PDF files to a number of decal suppliers and they'll print them for you if you want custom ones done. 

Lusters have to be silkscreened. If they are done digitally and printed, it will not have the real luster appearance, rather just a yellow gold like color. 

6 hours ago, neilestrick said:

I would think that the process would be the same, however lusters come in very small jars and cost a fortune, so you would either need a very small screen or a lot of $$$. The medium used to suspend the luster metal is highly toxic, and I would imagine it would be a real bear to clean the screen. I've never done it, so I'm just guessing here.

I use lusters all the time and am familiar with the cleaning process. I guess the process may be the same as underglaze decals as you mentioned though. : (

• 2 weeks later...

Of course exists lusters specifically intended for Screen printing, suitable for decal production (they needs to have the right viscosity, like a paste intead of a liquid), but I'm definitely convinced that those lusters are intended for industrial production... Anyway as has already been told the problem is the wastage of luster. A big series production allows to minimize this wastage, but with handicraft this is hard...

On 11/30/2017 at 2:12 PM, PotteryLodge said:

Lusters have to be silkscreened. If they are done digitally and printed, it will not have the real luster appearance, rather just a yellow gold like color. 

Have you looked at the digitally printed offers? If they can print with 18k gold, it should look the same. 

Archived