Extruder recommendations

PamelaLBL

Use the search function as this has been covered many times-I myself like the Brent cap system-they cost more.For hobbyists you can get a lesser brand.Scott Creeks are nice . I have one thats been modified to accept a Brent Cap-I use two extruders every week.

I've used Scott Creek, Brent and North Star extruders.  My first classroom had a blue, steel body  round extruder.  It worked great.  I had a lot of dyes for it, including hollow tube variety.  The inside had a bit of rust, but it didn't affect anything.

My second classroom had a Brent and North Star.  I prefer the the collar design, on the Brent, as it just twists on and off.  The Scott Creek has three pins, that hold the collar on.  The North Star was my least favorite.  The clay capacity was less than the other two, and changing, using the dyes was a pain, as you had to wing nut the collar on and off.  I prefer the Scott Creek plunger, as you work it downward, via rungs.  The Brent uses a yoke set up, that I just found a bit more annoying to use.  The North Star's plunger is more permanently connected to the rest of the machine.  So you can't take it off to clean it, like you can with the others.  

At my current classroom, I finally ordered an aluminum body Scott Creek.  It works great, and I am happy with the purchase... As are my students, who no longer have to use the constantly faulty hand extruders.

They all work  well.  Most of it just comes down to personal preference.  

Used the Bailey after having a Brent in my classroom. Bailey was head over heels much more useful, less repair, and great for all sorts of hollow forms. With the extension section possible to get up to 6 inch hollow extrusions. If really interested in a versatile production device, I would seriously look at one.

best,

Pres

The Brent yoke system is a draw back for sure-I just prefer the Brent  cap system so I modified my Scott creek buy wielding the Brent taps onto the steel Scott Creek barrel and put a Brent cap on that. I also have a full Brent unit-we use them both every week The Bailey is also a great extruder as President mentioned.

Archived