new forum, what i dislike

oldlady

now that things have settled down a bit from the shock of the boulder thrown into our comfortable little pond and the ripples are starting to reach the shore, i noticed some specific things that are different and that i do not like.   if anyone in charge is reading this, please note that i am thankful for the whole thing, the ability to freely exchange ideas with other potters, no matter where they are.  it is a sort of refuge from having to talk to people who do not understand the language and the feeling of community with others who are also addicts.

i think that the silly scoring idea has been scrapped.  thank you for whoever did that.

i can see that the way the information is presented resembles the old format in shape.  the problem i have is that there is no apparent listing of the info in a readable way.  there used to be a few headings we could ignore to get to the new content.  now these very old things are listed among the new willy-nilly.  (You youngsters would say "random".)    i cannot believe that there have only been a few posts since the start but it appears so, maybe it is the holiday weekend.

what happened to the date and time of the post?  how is the day of the week helpful?  and what happened to the list of things being said in order of date and time, not by the person who listed something?  how can i read the first post and follow everything said since then by whomever?  chronologically was so sensible, this new system seems to be personality directed, who say something is more important than keeping the replies in order as they happen.  it is the CONTENT that matters to me, not the person's name.  

the headings seem to matter much more now, it used to be that if the subject seemed appropriate to the original poster, it was OK unless the staff member thought it would be better somewhere else.  are we to be punished somehow if we post something in the wrong place?  maybe have some "POINTS" removed?  

or maybe i just cannot figure it all out.  there are no clues for me to follow.

There are 3 different ways to view this forum, try them out and maybe you might find one that feels more comfortable. (see image)

@oldlady wrote: " what happened to the date and time of the post?"

Is not a big deal if it reads 4 hours ago or 12:00pm. (see image)

I miss the Status that used to be on the right hand side and the ability to insert an image in the middle of the text. Other that that I really like the new look.

Sep. 04, 2017.jpg

22 Sep. 04, 2017.jpg

@oldlady, if you go to the "Activity" tab, all the activity on the forum is chronologically organised. 

Also, when you go to "Activity" -> "Unread content", there are options to choose from. After customising the stream, you can save it to go back to it quite easily. For example I saved one that shows me only what happened since my last visit (by default it shows everything since a year ago I believe). 

The "Activity" tab though allows you to see comments and posts as well as pictures uploaded in the gallery.

Hope this helps

2 hours ago, oldlady said:

thanks, ron, i am more concerned about the label "friday".  will it ever say which friday once more than one has gone by? 

After a week it just shows the date

23 Sep. 04, 2017.jpg

ron, i accidentally found the way to post that photo.  there is a "choose files"  in the bottom left corner and when you click it you are shown how to post a photo.  then there is a little plus sign and it makes it stick.   i don't know how to drag things.

thank you judith.  i tried activity and you are right, it does look a lot like the old pattern but it is not exactly.  you have to tell it you want to see everything since the topic started.

how does it let you read the continuation after the . . .     whatever follows is hidden and i can't find it.

found something else.   in my gallery, the photos seem to have something saying that nobody else can see them.  i am told to "map" something to allow photos to be seen.  cannot find the exact wording since i am now on a different page and cannot go back and forth.

17 minutes ago, oldlady said:

found something else.   in my gallery, the photos seem to have something saying that nobody else can see them.  i am told to "map" something to allow photos to be seen.  cannot find the exact wording since i am not on a different page and cannot go back and forth.

oldlady, I can see your gallery on images, even if I am signed out of the forum. I tried switching on the "show map" switch on my own gallery, and I can't see what difference it makes. I think your gallery is displaying as it should. 

2 hours ago, oldlady said:

found something else.

I found something else too. Highlight some text and a quote message shows up and all you do then is click on it

59b01fa4c736b_Sep.06201712_16.jpg.dcaf462c47ce626f726d1f7c2c911002.jpg

On 9/5/2017 at 0:35 AM, oldlady said:

i don't know how to drag things.

Just click and hold on the image and move it to where you want it.

16 hours ago, LeeU said:

Too much white space and the type is too small, especially for monitors (not cell phones & small tablets). A larger point size (this is 16) would be nice.

If you are on a PC hold the Ctrl Key and tap the + key until you get the size you want.

29 minutes ago, Sputty said:

I used to have an avatar. Ariadne, on a panther. Now she gone walkabouts. I quite liked Ariadne, and her panther - how do I get them to come home, and be my avatar again?

Go to your profile and on the bottom left of your avatar you'll see an image (the image might be different for each user)

59b174a290f8d_Sep.07201712_30.jpg.b5ff86a1324ed0cb54efa8c71f2c6d90.jpg

Click on that image and a new window will pop up to upload a new avatar

59b175289ff41_Sep.07201712_34.jpg.2ea2b930ca9ef5f79f1f284a1844a806.jpg

@oldlady

dont leave. I am about to post a guide in the next few hours on how to get the unread content back to how it used to look. I have been tinkering with it for a while and I figured out how to build a custom unread section based on how you want it to look. It makes it just like the old one we had and make it your default view when you click it. It works nicely and is much better than the current forum default. i will make a post separate for it. I have to run some errands but once I finish with the screen shots I will post it this morning.

58 minutes ago, oldlady said:

it seems to be totally driven by person who posted instead of what is being discussed.

I'm confused, it seems very similar to the old way of viewing threads and posts. Did you try to change the way to view this forum as I had suggested? Try clicking on the box to the left if it isn't already darken

59adb044463ae_Sep.042017.jpg.6b60e377199f37460a54c6f8de5c5cc6.jpg

58 minutes ago, oldlady said:

i give up.   bye,  all, it has been fun.

Please stay

@oldlady 

Do this and see if you like it better. It makes the unread content back like before when you just saw a list of forums that had new information in them. 

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/16687-setting-up-activity-streams-unread-content-to-similar-as-before-the-forum-migration-tutorial/?tab=comments#comment-132374

9 hours ago, oldlady said:

it seems to be totally driven by person who posted instead of what is being discussed.   i give up.   bye,  all, it has been fun.

I don't think the new design has changed how people interact on the forum at all and you can see in the activity streams the new comments on posts. Check out Joseph's post he did an amazing job making it really clear

I've requested that some of the very relevant tips and guided help like Joseph's be put in the Forum FAQ and Help category. I think everyone can agree that these items need to be in one area, not all over the Forum. . .  to hard to keep up with.

best,

Pres

18 hours ago, oldlady said:

it is now some days into this new stuff.   it seems to be totally driven by person who posted instead of what is being discussed.   i give up.   bye,  all, it has been fun.

Old Lady, please don't go.  

We need you.  

WE need you.

We NEED you

We need YOU.

Archived