Kiln Room Ventilation

I have a space I would like to fire in. 11x11, with concrete block walls, with a wood ceiling. I have thought to cover the wood with concrete board. It's a walk out basement area, so it only has a door to vent it, does any one have anything creative to vent the heat out of this space. I can put a box fan in the door way, short of that, I'm interested in any ideas.

Yes a 4 inch kiln vent thru the sill plate in ceiling-you may have to cut a larger hole on ceiling to do the vent work. Then the kiln vent can blow the heat out to outside -think dryer venting only for kiln.. $ inch flexible metal vent or better option is smooth wall 4 inch. Neil has this part down lets see his answer.

I used thermostat controlled exhaust vents in the upper height of my concrete walls in texas. Set at 120, they sometimes cane on during the day without the kins running. They worked great.My concrete shed was 10 x 16 with 12 ft metal ceiling. I raku fired in there and had 3 electrics in there too. I had manual controls as well. They were simple light weight fans. You might put one in the wooden Iroof similar to an attic fan. 

Marcia

You have a few choices -like Marcia said just a fan than comes on and moves the hoot ceiling air out(you need the door cracked to bring in replacement air. Or you could hang a hood over kiln that vent is piped to this outside vent witch is more specific on where the suck comes from. still need makeup air from the door open a tad.

If I wanted to use an in line duct type fan or a squirrel cage, does any one have any suggestion

I don't there is enough CFM with either. If you don't mind cutting a hole in the door a louvered 1000-1600 CFM attic fan should do the trick. Or as you mentioned a box fan or two by the door.

What is important is the number of air changes per hour within the room, or area.  A small toilet room does not need a big fan, but a large work room does.  This topic would be a good one for an experienced professional HVAC individual who makes pots. 

Anyone listening?

LT

An 11Wx11Lx10H room is 1210 cu.ft. Bathroom exhaust fans are typically rated in Cubic Feet/Minute (CFM). A low end bathroom exhaust fan (70 CFM) would require 17 1/2 minutes to exhaust all the air -- or just over 3 times per hour. Others are rated 100 CFM to 120 CFM. But an exhaust fan is one way; not only do you need to remove the hot air, but you need to draw in cooler/fresh air.

Nope, rooms to small for anything other than the kilns while I'm firing. I use it as a drying room when not firing. I've not been to concerned with the heat because I have manually fired these kilns, but with the advent of new computer kiln controllers, heat has become a concern. I have two kilns at present in this room, I don't fire them at the same time. I have used a box fan and a screen door for a couple years.

Nope, rooms to small for anything other than the kilns while I'm firing. I use it as a drying room when not firing. I've not been to concerned with the heat because I have manually fired these kilns, but with the advent of new computer kiln controllers, heat has become a concern. I have two kilns at present in this room, I don't fire them at the same time. I have used a box fan and a screen door for a couple years.

Yes, the controllers generally need to stay below 120F or they'll error out.

Archived