Warpage

Clay has a memory. If you had to squish and squash it to be round it may recall its elliptical upbringing. Evenly drying (in my experience fast or slow makes no difference) is also a factor.

The other solution is in the design. Notice how many bowls have a flare at the lip? This helps them stay round. In general, finishing a handbuilt piece with a good rim is proper workwomanship. A good foot and a finished lip is lesson one in my class.

The word "warpage" caught my eye only I read it like "warPAGE" and I wondered for a full minute if it was a page or blog about war and how that had to do with ceramics, or possibly similar to rampaging before my brain caught up and I felt quite silly. 

What I do a lot with my items is let them dry slowly in a plastic bin with a slightly cracked lid for a long time. 

Also, some clay bodies are better for use with hand building or slab building. What kind of clay were you using? I have a groggy red clay and a sandy tan clay that are fabulous. They never crack or warp. I have another smooth lovely clay that ripples and warps if I use it to make tissue boxes. So annoying. 

Can you post a picture of the bowl. It would help us see what happened to it better. If your clay gets very soft at the final temps there is a good chance it will warp if you don't have "structure" built into your bowl. This "structure" can be as simple as a rolled rim, a lip, putting indents or bends in the pot. Another method is to make the foot bigger so that the wall isn't slumping but has a solid foundation. You could also change clays. When I was firing some porcelains they didn't like my small footed bowls and they slumped. However if I fire that same shape in stoneware it stayed exactly the same.

So it "depends" as many here would say. A picture and clay body type would help us help you better.

another thing that can cause warping is the placement in a kiln load.  if i make a large bowl, i try to center it on a shelf and surround it with items of a smaller but similar size.  if you put a big bowl with one side a few inches from the elements and the other side near the center of the shelf, well.......................... guess what.

Archived