Sharing Recipes

MatthewV

I have collected, used, and modified many recipes. They were sourced from sketchy and reputable places online, a few from books like Mastering Cone 6, and some were taken from recipe book at my university. Many of them have been slightly changed by myself. Today I have absolutely no clue where each one originally came from.

So I have to ask: where does the ownership of the information lie?

Especially when it comes to something like "Clear" which I first copied from the university bucket and later saw in a book as well. Is it in the public domain already?

Ethically it is sound, imo, to declare source if asked for a copy , and along with that an explanation of how you've tinkered.

Ownership ie MY glaze, unless I am promoting myself as a glazemaker, which I am NOT, would depend I think on how far from the original I had taken it.

Writing a book,  Still wouldn't rest easily with me unless  declaring the original source, if known.

Just a few thoughts.

Glazes already in the public domain....you use the info, but the thoughts behind the glaze were not "yours"

What's with this ownership Mathew/? :)

Guest JBaymore

Writing a book,  Still wouldn't rest easily with me unless  declaring the original source, if known.

Once you put them out there...... they tend to be looked as being in the "open source" department, to use the computer phrase.  TECHNICALLY if you came up with the original, and you wrote it up, the exact recipe is copyrighted (as a piece of writing).  But since it is a recipe for some tangible product, I think you'd need something like a patent to protect that.  Strange very gray area of law, I would think. (Lawpots?)

Many have made money by collecting and sharing other people's glaze recipes without much in the way of attribution. 

Potters are a bit crazy;  we tend to freely share what in most other businesses would be considered "proprietary formulas" that are valued business assets.  We also tend to freely go around and show people how to make the objects we make in places like workshops and Youtube videos.  We share how to build specialized pieces of equipment.  And so on.

Try to get APPLE or MICROSOFT to share some of their "secrets" :ph34r:   :rolleyes:  ;) .

best,

......................john

PS:  Luckily..... how they get used, and the kilns they are fired in tend to impact the look of the glazes... so sharing it is only a part of the story.

John:

I have actually talked to a patent attorney about specific glaze recipes. To have a recipe patented; the ingredients have to be listed in exact amounts to the 0.01 percentile. Then if a person used that very same recipe and changed one ingredient by 0.10%; then it is not infringement. A company in Italy has an US & International patent on one specific crystalline formula with colorants. As most already know, modern formulas are not that modern, just more recent materials filling in old blanks. Taxtile Doat developed the modern crystalline glaze formula back in the late 1880's-early 90's. Even that claim will be disputed, but we are long past the 75-100 year utility patent timeline. Do not want to hurt feelings, but we are not pioneers in the glaze industry- just perfecting a glaze for our specific use. The true pioneers have long ago come and gone.

Nerd

I have my secret blend of 11 herbs and spices over here at Kiln Fired Ceramics   ;)

Was that the one I copied the recipe off , it was sitting in the background of the last video you shared... :D  :ph34r:  :D

Loved Old Lady's photo of markings on the glaze bucket, her recipe!,, a potter I once knew wrote the recipes on her buckets but they were not true to what was in the bucket.... to fool others who wandered into her studio...... I'm not smart enough or of that nature, only hope she kept her marbles to th end , potential for extreme disaster on that pathway! 

Thanks Joel- looks like I will be doing carry out tonight from the Colonel.

Taxtile Doat Crystalline Recipe from 1880's    (sevres museum)

Feldspar             33.60      Quartz Sand  47.00       Rutile                9.60

Pure clay kaolin  12.89      Chalk             15.00       Red iron oxide  9.60

Maria Longworth Storer founded the Rookwood Pottery in Cincinnati in 1880:

- over 250,000 different glaze mixtures.

-developed modern avertine, worked with temmuko, chuns, and flambes.

Imagine being around in the 1800's when they fired pottery in bottle kilns (production) using saggars.

Guys shoveling coal or stoking wood underneath for up to 30 hours to build and hold temps.

No controllers, no kiln setters, no cones, no pyrometers.

Marcia: you have a long list of museums showing pieces from the 17-18-19th centuries, perhaps post some.

Here is one: http://www.stokemuseums.org.uk/collections/

Nerd

I have reprogrammed my glaze software to reverse engineer any glaze recipe and its optimal firing program based on a photo of that glaze on a pot. So, sorry in advance to anyone who has posted photos of their favourite glazes on these forums or in their gallery. If you are lucky you may get a credit in my book.

Yes, Joel, even your photos.

Well, no one ever asks me for my glazes, because I fire at Cone 8.  All my glazes are modified from Cone 10 or Cone 6 glazes.

Somebody must use Cone 8 glazes besides me, because Standard produced a porcelain for that range for at least 30 years.  But I never meet anyone like that.

I have a whole shtick I can go into about Cone 8 glazes, which involves repeating the phrase "almost as beautiful and simple as Cone 10 glazes" a number of times.

Glaze recipes .... I give credit to those who develop them and freely share ... I also understand those who test and tweak and end up with something wonderful that they do not share. Kind of presumptuous to think you can just ask this person for it and they have some weird kind of 'obligation' to share.

I love to walk into a strange studio and see the names on the glaze buckets ... Hey, that it is a real person's work being passed down ... recently saw a Malcoms Shino and had to smile as I thought about that crazy and very generous man.

• 2 weeks later...

babs, i have never even tried to develop a recipe of my own.  i know the recipe on the bucket is called Chinese Red and was given to our guild members during a workshop by Jane Cullum of Manassas Clay in Virginia.  she shared it freely and i am simply passing it on.  hope you got the correct numbers because the hairspray ran down without my knowledge until i posted it.

i guess i am just a parasite on the real developers of glaze recipes.  the most that i do is try different colorants using a base glaze found somewhere public.  Bill vanGilder's rutile green, for example, looks wonderful as a clear glaze without the copper.  when i add other colors to that base recipe it comes out fantastic in yellow, blue and others.  they are all at my other home right now so i cannot tell you more.  Bill saw all of them once when i took them to his studio.  he really liked the yellow and asked what stain i had used.

i think it is wonderful that so many glaze recipes are out there for me to copy.  like recipes for cookies, there is a variety for everybody. (sometimes i do not want chocolate chips.)  

just a note to those of you real chemists who know all the technical reasons for why a certain ingredient does what it does in a certain glaze.  those of us who only mix glazes so we can get a particular color and shine and transparency really do not care about the technical reason, just give us a recipe so we can cover our pots in things that are pretty.  if it doesn't work on our clay, in our kiln at our favorite temperature, we will just look for another one.  we appreciate you and your efforts to try to convert us to chemists but would rather just have the recipe, please. :)

just a note to those of you real chemists who know all the technical reasons for why a certain ingredient does what it does in a certain glaze.  those of us who only mix glazes so we can get a particular color and shine and transparency really do not care about the technical reason, just give us a recipe so we can cover out pots in things that are pretty.  if it doesn't work on our clay, in our kiln at our favorite temperature, we will just look for another one.  we appreciate you and your efforts to try to convert us to chemists but would rather just have the recipe, please. :)

we are part of a cult and just want you to try the kool aid  

;)

just a note to those of you real chemists who know all the technical reasons for why a certain ingredient does what it does in a certain glaze.  those of us who only mix glazes so we can get a particular color and shine and transparency really do not care about the technical reason, just give us a recipe so we can cover out pots in things that are pretty.  if it doesn't work on our clay, in our kiln at our favorite temperature, we will just look for another one.  we appreciate you and your efforts to try to convert us to chemists but would rather just have the recipe, please. :)

we are part of a cult and just want you to try the kool aid  

;)

I am terrible at chemistry but I can relate it to cooking ... I can replicate a great yellow cake recipe but a chef would be bold enough to add sour cream, more eggs, some chocolate ... and make it a totally magical experience.

Archived