Help, Can't Decide

ronfire

I just purchased 2 used kilns and a bunch of stuff for a good price. Problem is I do not need 3 kilns, so one will go and I can't decide.

I am currently using a 45-50 year old Skutt 231, replaced the elements in the spring but the bricks a very soft.

The other 2 are, a Skutt 1027  built in 2003,  basically a newer version of the 231, same size and looks like new and an Olympic 1827. It is smaller but in great shape as well with lots of shelves

My debate is to keep the 2 large kilns but will need to buy some shelves then or keep the 2 newer ones, have an 18" and a 23" kiln.  

All the kilns have kiln sitters.

1-Keeping the 2 larger kills will allow more production, but I do not really need to run that much.

2-Keep the 2 best kilns, a smaller one for backup and small runs and the larger as the main kiln.

I will have both kilns on the same breaker and only run 1 at a time.

Cant keep them all as there is not enough room.

I'd keep the two newer ones. I have 3 sizes of electric kilns. I find that the medium size one comes in handy if I don't have that much and need to fire sooner. I have a huge oval that I got for architectural pieces and for firing large slabs 30 x 42 x 27 deep.

I can fire more larger pots in there rather than one per shelf in the medium size kiln. My smaller one is for test glazes or if I need to fire a few mugs.

Marcia

don't overlook the fact that you can use smaller shelves in the larger kiln.  might tide you over until you can buy bigger ones.  you can always sell your old kiln with the note that it has newish elements and use that money to buy shelves.

I am thinking of putting a controller on the larger kiln that looks like new, was made in 2003. I will wait a bit until the CDN $ gets better. I could not turn down 2 kilns in great shape for as well as loads of glazes, screens, and some dry supplies for $1200 CDN

Archived