Repairing Old Olympic Kiln

Latortuga

Hi, folks,

Have 'inherited' an old Olympic kiln, Model #2831(no additional letters), 240 v, max temp 2250, cone 6 (all this is on the metal label). According to our neighbor it had been in the barn for a looonnng time. It's about 4' tall on a stand and maybe 25 or so inches in diameter. Mostly intact but according to an electrician who looked at it will need at least one new element and replacement of one of the plugs that connect the three sections together (chewed by a desperate mouse apparently). I've looked on line using the model number and serial number but haven't found anything to match. Since there are at least 2 parts that need replacement (perhaps more since I'm not sure about the kiln controller box - that's where the chewed plug is) I am wondering if anyone has suggestions about how where to look or whom to talk to so that I can figure out if the kiln can be made operable. 

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Kristi

post-73715-0-68229200-1451609623_thumb.jpg

post-73715-0-34402000-1451609633_thumb.jpg

post-73715-0-74638100-1451609656_thumb.jpg

post-73715-0-68229200-1451609623_thumb.jpg

post-73715-0-34402000-1451609633_thumb.jpg

post-73715-0-74638100-1451609656_thumb.jpg

Here's the manual for it:

http://www.greatkilns.com/media/wysiwyg/2015_OLYMPIC_ELECTRIC_KILNS_OPERATING_MANUAL.pdf

The receptacle can be had at any hardware or big box lumber type store.

Olypmic makes replacement elements as well as places like Euclid's.

Make sure you check all connections inside for more mice activity and tightness or corrosion.

Good luck and have fun.

Happy new year,

Rob

hi, welcome to the forums.  just FYI, there is no controller on that kiln.  the word controller is the name of an electronic part that came out many years after that kiln was made.

the numbers 2831 probably match the inside measurements, 28 inches diameter and 31 inches deep.  when you replace the elements, be sure to replace all of them at one time.  if you could get a photo of the interior, we can see if you might need to replace bricks as well.  there are lots of tech type people here to help.  i am not one of them.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who replied! Your advice will come in helpful as we proceed, I'm sure. We have been working (intermittently) on the kiln for the last month. Progress is being made as we've learned more about the model. I now know that 2831 does refer to the interior dimensions (as "old lady" guessed)  - 3 stackable 9" sections with coils and one 4" without. Sarah at Olympic kilns said we could remove the 4" if we didn't need the space and  if we replace all the elements possibly get up to a Cone 8 because of the smaller volume. 

What we are now trying to determine is whether we could also jettison the whole 9" top section. We would still have all the volume we needed (would then be 28 x 18) but the question would be can we get the heat distribution right. Instead of putting 2 middle coils  (29.3 ohms) in the center section that has now become the top section, if we put in 1 middle coil (29.3 ohms) and one top coil (21.1 ohms) would we effectively recreate the heating pattern of the top section we want to remove and have appropriately distributed heat? Because the volume is reduced would we still be able to reach cone 6 heat levels? Maybe higher? Also wonder if the amperage would be significantly reduced (fully assembled in its original configuration the amperage is 47, v 240 and w 11280)? Hoping not to have to do too much rewiring.

We know we will also have to replace a few bricks and plan to do that when we are replacing the coils. Don't know if anyone has any thoughts yea or nay about what we are considering but would welcome them if you do! 

Thanks,
Kristi

That 47 amp kiln needs a 60 amp breaker as you need a 25% safety factor. If you start using less element you will us e less amps-Ask Olympic about the modiifacations .My guess is you may need different elements on top but they will know. Defiantly do not use the dead ring for high temps only bisque.

FYI, for anyone who may be trying to rehab a similar kiln: according to Sarah at Olympic kilns I can indeed use the center tier as the new top tier and put in a hot element (now 18 ohms) in the top position and a medium (28 ohms) in the lower. With the replacement of the old elements in the bottom section I'll then have elements, from top to bottom, with ohm ratings of 18, 28, 28,18. She said this will definitely give me a cone 8, maybe even 10. Also gets the amperage down to 40, much more compatible with our current wiring. Good news, all around! She's taking a look at images of the damaged bricks and will offer an opinion about whether they need to be replaced, too. She also said that I should be able to fairly easily move the lid hinge from the current top section to the middle. If all this works out I'll have a nice sized kiln and won't have had to sacrifice my firstborn! Will let you know how it unfolds.

Kristi

PS We will be careful to size the breaker appropriately, Mark, thanks - don't want to burn down the house or have the kiln constantly turning off.

Archived