Pug Mills :)

I am working on "revitalizing" my old Walker pug mill that I bought new in March of 1981. The pug mill has only had one electrical switch replaced since new. I have now replaced the spider coupler, one oil seal and the rubber gaskets. My question is this. I have no information in the original manuals or on the labels on the motor as to what oil to put in the angle reducer and offset parallel part. All it says is to use gear oil for bronze worm gearing. As I recall some 20 years ago I bought some oil that I believe was 90wt. I replaced it once but need to do it again. Any information from current or former Walker users is greatly appreciated. My shoulders and wrists would probably appreciate a replacement S.S. deairing model...but at this point in life...probably not. Thank you!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought an old bluebird on Craig's list  for $100 several years ago. I upgraded it to de-airing with a peanut butter jar and a harbor freight vacuum pump bought on Craigslist for $50. For the investment, it works pretty well, though I don't have experience with other pugmills to compare it to. Yes, pugging is hard work and a big mess , but less work than hand wedging. I save up several hundred pounds of clay before I drag the thing out.

Pugmills seem to show up on craigslist from time to time.

Walker used 90wt gear oil. Changed it every year in the high school, then was turned over to service department and they did it. Never replace rubber spider coupler. However I did pull the shaft once and have some new blades added on, and some of the old ones straightened and aligned.

Archived