Can I Swap Neph Sy In This Glaze?

This is  my clear glaze, it works either with or without the Lith Carb... it's a Michael Bailey recipe.

Soda feldspar  70.0

Bentonite  3.0

Lith Carb 3.0

Dolomite 7.0

Zin oxide 5.0

Flint/Quartz 12.0

I am going to test it swapping the Soda feldspar for Nepheline Syenite, in an attempt to achieve that 'tide mark' I discussed in previous post.

Can someone possibly tell me please... will it still be a balanced glaze? Or is the adjusted recipe likely to cause crazing problems etc?

Guest JBaymore

Without doing calc..... you are increasing the soda content... the highest COE flux there is.  Likely the overall COE will change so that it moves more toward crazing.  And the lithium is the lowest COE material... so leaving that out also moves the glaze toward crazing.

No time to do the calc now... sorry.

best,

.......................john

It will likely craze, as it ups your COE significantly, but that's the cost of upping your soda content.  Assuming you're using a soda spar like minspar, you're losing about 8% silica in the switch from soda spar to neph. sy.

You can adjust the flint to compensate, but that would take you back in the direction of the glaze you had, just with different ingredients. I get the feeling that if you've got a balanced glaze, you might not get the effect you want.

I was looking at my sample tiles the other day, and almost every ^6 tile has that burnt toast around the edges of the glaze.  By comparison, none of the ^06 have it.  Most are commercial glazes.

So is it more likely a combination of clay and firing temperature that causes the toast  ????

Now I've read this thread, I'm going to go back and have another study of all the tiles.  I think it doesn't notice so much on finished items as the glaze usually goes to the bottom, and for things with feet, the glaze goes around the bottom too.

I'll report back.

I had another good (proper) look at my test tiles.....

The ones with the toasty look were all overfired ^6, probably to ^8, but as I only had 5/6/7 cones set, I can't be certain.  But the same glazes fired to ^6 don't have the toasty look.

The raw material sample that High Bridge re-posted in the other "toasty" thread also overfired.

HIgh Bridge your totalling to 100 is interesting.

The tin oxide and cobalt being colourants , I would not be including in the percentage formula.... If it works use it?? But would be interesting to  see what the glaze would be like if the percentages were worked for the first six components of this glaze.

Archived