Free Glaze

My wife just won  $150.00 worth of free glazes from amaco! She has been learning to throw for about 2 months, so she wants me to decide what I want. 

I make my glazes and find the number of choices overwhelming. 

Anyone have suggestions...I fire to cone 6 ox.

The potters choice glazes are fun to layer and try out different things. My favorites are the blue rutile over indigo float makes an amazing blue. I also really like firebrick and Albany slip brown. I enjoy playing with different ones and try to order a new pint each time I need my regular glazes restocked just to keep experimenting and trying different combinations.

I would suggest buying a few and trying them in different combinations together.

Have fun!

If "Glazes" applies to their underglazes also, you might consider the Amaco Velvet underglazes. I just finished an online course with Diana Fayt and learned so many great techniques for underglaze decoration on ceramics. Perfect for cone 6. I am making a set of test tiles with all of the colors I have so far and am getting ready to do color blends, similar to what we did in watercolor classes. Great fun.

I'm sending out a list of about 13 or 14 pints. It's not easy to visualize using them. I make functional table ware with a little horse hair thrown in for fun.  I'm used to the "plunk and dunk" glaze technique. painting from little jars will be an experience.  

Archived