What's Your All Time Favorite Clay?

JustPeachy

I'm in the process of trying to find a good clay fit for me. I do like what I was using at my class and I have several 4# samples that I am testing currently.

This made me wonder what is your favorite clay? What's the one that you find yourself going back to time and again like a long lost lover?

Do you purchase it or dig it up yourself? Porcelain, earthenware, stoneware, smooth or with grog?

What's your clay love affair?

Daves Porcelain cone 10

Used it since early to mid 80's-never looked back

been through more tons than I want to know. You do not want to know either. 

I have tired many a porcelain (sasuga-Ice-(Baboo have some now as well)-kenji-a few I do not recall- oh ya Colemans- Clayplanets porc -Kai  artwarks quyles you name it if its on the west coast but always come back to Daves 

mark

Guest JBaymore

I am assuming you mean commercially produced ones. I'm firing stoneware temps.... woodfire....... between Orton cone 9 and 14.  I also use my own formulated bodies, some of which contain local NH clay and granite.

Sheffield Pottery Supply #42

Clay Planet Grogzilla

best,

.................john

PS: In Japan....... the local clay mixture used at Kanayamayaki. Supurb. There is NOTHING like that stuff I've ever found in the USA. Best clay I've ever used. (Of course preparation is a huge part of that.... much care given.) Wish I could afford to import it. Also FYI...... it is the same clay deposit used by the Jomon period potters in the area about 5000-6000 years ago and the Sueki potters about 1000 years ago.

Daves Porcelain cone 10

Used it since early to mid 80's-never looked back

been through more tons than I want to know. You do not want to know either. 

I have tired many a porcelain (sasuga-Ice-(Baboo have some now as well)-kenji-a few I do not recall- oh ya Colemans- Clayplanets porc -Kai  artwarks quyles you name it if its on the west coast but always come back to Daves 

mark

This is ironic that you mention the one clay that I have 50# of that I don't care for! I didn't even order this clay but it was subbed because the one I wanted was out of stock. I never tried porcelain before and it's incredibly soft and extremely fragile once it's dry. I'm going to sit on it for awhile to see if maybe I'll pick it up later. I also only want to fire to a cone 6 but the sales guy said it would be fine at a 6.

I have about 5 samples from Clay-King that are 4# each that I am working through to get the feel of. I already eliminated the Raku, because it had too much grog in it and was scratchy to me. Tomorrow I am aiming for the Little Loafers and regular Loafers to see what those are like.

I swear I never knew finding a good clay fit was like shopping for a good pair of underwear! Gahhhh! giggle.gif

My favorite Clay currently is Mac 6 by http://www.clayartcenter.net/

This is their description:
Cone 6 gray to white porcelain with excellent throwing qualities . Good glaze fit, and color response. Our most popular cone 6 clay body. Cone 4-6.  Wet Color off white, Oxidation Color white, Reduction Color white, Texture smooth, Shrinkage 12.0%, Absorption 0.75%.

I do a LOT of altering and hand building and it works well for this too.  It is bright enough that my glazes shine and has great workability. I fire cone 6 electric.

http://debspottery.com

Thanks!

deb

I LOVE Little Loafers and use it exclusively. I do a lot of surface design and decoration and I love the soft white color of it. I also like the smooth non gritty feel of it so it doesn't scratch at my hands or grab my paint brushes. I fire electric to cone 6, use Amaco underglazes extensively, glaze primarily with Amaco zinc free clear and a few Amaco colored glazes, or coyote colored glazes of which I adore their Celadon line of glazes since they show off carving and textures really nicely and if I pick the colors correctly can even enhance and play off underglazes used underneath them.

Several people at the group pottery have tried to get me to try Highwaters speckled Brownstone which is the other clay used there but it has more grit and I think I would be fighting against the color of the clay to get my applied colors to shine. One day when I have a project that needs the color of the clay as a feature I will but until then I'll stick with my Little Loafers.

I hope knowing how I use it and why I use it helps you decide.

Terry

Custom clays =. The bodies I ve made. One of which I formulated.

Not commercial=. The recovered clay at a studio I used to belong to. It's a mutt/ hybrid. Buff earth tone dream to throw.

Commercial ..... Standard 266 I like the color, dream to throw,great effects.

Laguna 900 dream to throw, plays well @6. Amazing in wood fire

Ps I like grit, so I often add

Peachy said( I never tried porcelain before and it's incredibly soft and extremely fragile once it's dry)

If you are new to porcelain all of it will seem hard to deal with-it took me 10-15 years to get really comfortable with it

​You will need good basic skill sets to throw it as well.

​What you will find is that some glazes look really great -bright and spectacular on it. You also will notice its harder to work will and has a larger die off (loss rate)rate (cracking etc) then stonewares

Any clay that is to soft can dry out and firm up very easy as well.Just let some air on it.

Good luck with it.

Mark

Mark is right. Porcelain takes time to get down. It absorbs water quickly so you need to use less.Sponge off often.

I use various sized Rubber maid storage containers turned upside down on my tables to cover the fresh pots. They stay wet. Then I can control the drying easier.You really have to monitor the drying closely. As Mark says, the porcelain can really make a glaze POP with brighter colors.

Marcia

I'm a little biased, since I helped develop this clay, but I use Chad's Bod from Dakota Potter's Supply.  It is very versatile, and I use it regardless what type of firing I'm throwing for.  Educators have told them they have been able to get students able to create vessels on the wheel faster than with other clays.  Their description...

Chad's Clay Body

This is our most versatile plastic clay bodies.  Excellent for all temperatures and all types of firing, low fire, pit, raku, mid range, cone 10 oxidation, reduction, and salt firing methods.  Fires to a white body.

Chad

Archived