When Best To Imprint In Centre Of Thrown Bowls.

Babs

I use self made stamps and lino prints which I usually use for texturing hand formed bowls and plates. I have been asked to make bowls with one of my stamps impressed into the centre of the inside of the thrown bowls.  Has any one done this? I am concerned about distortion of the bowl, and so would like anyone who has experience of this to give a few clues as to the dryness of the clay when attempting this.Would have to be pretrimming? I'm leaning to suggesting I sprigg an imprint onto outside of bowl..

Thanks Mark, wouldn't be my choice but customer... Also would annoy me when spooning out the last of soup. If the impression wasn't very deep, the glaze may fill the impressed dents, not sold on the idea yet. I'll try a few and then make a decision.

I have a customer that wants a logo stamped on the patens for communion. Even though these are plates, there is a similarity. I have found that a rubber stamp will make a reasonable imprint when the clay is just approaching cheese hard. I try not to get the imprint too deep as that will leave stamp edges. I use iron oxide wash in the bisqued area washing/sanding off high. Cover with a thnner/single coat of glaze in that area. Light glaze colors work best for bleed through of the oxide, and the impression is usually very smooth.

Archived