Soda Kiln Build

Since it's been a pretty slow week here on the forum, I thought I'd post some eye candy to keep you all busy. On my blog HERE you can see photos of the soda kiln Doug Jeppesen and I built a couple of weekends ago at Lillstreet Art Center in Chicago. We knocked it out in about 30 hours over 3 days, from scratch. The interior of the kiln is all hard brick, with soft brick used wherever possible on the exterior.

Doug and I had built the previous kiln, too, which lasted 3 1/2 years, and new record at Lill. They tend to go through soda kilns pretty quickly. When we started on the previous version, we found that the kiln was supported on a metal framework that attempted to level the kiln since the concrete floor was really out of whack. The frame was not ideal, but due to time constraints we had to use it. This time, since we knew what we were getting into, we made them toss the frame and pour a level concrete slab. This should be their longest lasting soda kiln yet. The first firing is this weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, all. Unfortunately, I don't ever get to actually fire the kiln. I'm just the builder. I did stop by there yesterday though, and saw a few of the pots from the first firing. They looked great, and the kiln fired just like the old one, so all is good. More importantly, the kiln looked good. Nothing moved. Next I'm going to rebuild the burner system to give it better control, and (hopefully) efficiency.

I noticed you were in Greeley about the same time I was in Fort Morgan. My father-in-law gave me directions to go from Wyoming to Fort Morgan: Go south until you smell it, then turn east until you step in it. Then you will be in Fort Morgan.

It seems kind of unfair. You build them but don't fire then--- kilns that is. I would make it a new policy. The first pot in the new kiln is one of yours.

Archived