Average Clay Ball Size For A Casserole Dish?

jrgpots

I will be making  a number of 3 qt and 4 qt casserole dishes and wanted to order enough clay for 20 dishes.  I have always made small matching sets of dishes, but never 20 of the same size large dishes.  So I need help estimating the weight of clay per pot for a thrown 3 qt and 4 qt casserole dish with lid.

Help,  Jed  :unsure:

There's a list of suggested weights @ Lakeside Pottery: they suggest 5lb 12oz for 4 quart and 4lb for a 2quart.

There was a recent topic on here discussing something similar, not everyone agreed with some of the suggested weights.

Take a look and see how some of the other items compare with what you know.

http://lakesidepottery.com/HTML%20Text/Tips/amount-of-clay-per-pottery-ware.htm

I do not throw enough casseroles to tell you but will add that everyones are different and you will need to learn your own.

I do not throw by volume anyway and each of our forms are so different (width-depth hieght) my 4# will not be your 4#er.

Same will be true with your lids-

I throw these smaller ones (casseroles) on plaster bats and do not cut them-cut pots take a bit more clay-so theres another variable

My GUESS is 4-5 1/2#s

Mark

I do not throw enough casseroles to tell you but will add that everyones are different and you will need to learn your own.

I do not throw by volume anyway and each of our forms are so different (width-depth hieght) my 4# will not be your 4#er.

Same will be true with your lids-

I throw these smaller ones (casseroles) on plaster bats and do not cut them-cut pots take a bit more clay-so theres another variable

My GUESS is 4-5 1/2#s

Mark

Thanks, Mark.  Your numbers are about what I came up with.  I just ordered 125 Lbs. to get started.  Now comes the new adventure of making twenty of the same thing.  It sounds silly as I followed the tread about how much clay production potters go through.  I thought making 5 flutes at a time was a lot........Boy, have I lived a sheltered life.

Jed

Also give yourself some extra clay for a few more than the order.If you need 20, I'd make 24. My mistake, your mistake, nobody's mistake, the cat sleep in the pot and distorted the rim, who knows.

Give yourself a little wiggle room, stuff happens.

Wyndham

stuff happens.

stuff happens.

stuff happens.

you can say that again-plan on it.

Hey Jed I'm doing a show just down the rd from you this weekend-

Boulder City Nev.-about 1000 miles from my studio.

Mark

So what are the address and details. I might drop in and buy something from ya....Where will you be staying?

Art in The park show in Boulder City Nv-itsn a small town near the Dam .Lake mead backs up from there.

This is the 51st year of this show-its in 3 parks-my spot is next to city hall-booth 145 if I recall

I share a hotel room with another potter at that show.

Mark

Archived