Looking For A Satin, Or Semi-Matt White ^6

clay lover

Since I assume from your title that you are doing ^6, and that you would be doing oxidation, I would ask what opacifier are you interested in, a zinc, tin, or zircopax type.  I have a few of these, that could fit the bill.  This Waxy white is from Van Gilder. . .

Compound Empirical Custer Spar 62 Talc 8 Whiting 14 EPK 10 Zinc Oxide 6 Total in grams 100

These are my favorite matte glazes. Soft and silky. Cone 5/6 oxidation. The silk really depends on your kiln, so test.

White Silk:

In grams,

Dolomite 60

EPK 226

Flint (silica) 143

Gerstley Borate 135

Kona F4 300

Neph Sy 592

Talc 97.5

Whiting 128

Zinc Oxide 116

For Black Silk, add

Cobalt Oxide 20

Copper oxide 60

RIO 60

Thank you, all.  As the title says, I am looking for ^6, and in oxidation.

Pres, I would order whatever opacifier a recipe called for, I don't know enough to have a preference.  I use glazes with those ingredients, all I know is the one with zinc in it is not dependable as to surface.

Marcia, I found a recipe on the CAD "33 tried and true glazes"  credited to you, titled Textured blue, but from Marcia Selsor's Waxy White'.  Can you tell me more about what Waxy White  looks like? and behaves?

Pam, if you are referring to down firing, I do that for other satin glazes I use, but none of them make a nice buttery white when I remove the colorants.

The reason I asked about opacifiers, is that different opacifiers effect the glaze and oxide colors differently. Tin can blush in the red range if in an atmosphere with free chromium. Zinc, acts as a flux and can dull some greens and browns. Zircopax is considered pretty inate-no coloring side effects.

The reason I asked about opacifiers, is that different opacifiers effect the glaze and oxide colors differently. Tin can blush in the red range if in an atmosphere with free chromium. Zinc, acts as a flux and can dull some greens and browns. Zircopax is considered pretty inate-no coloring side effects.

So does this mean that the other glazes in the kiln at the same time might be changed by the opacifier used in the white glaze??

Zinc does not always play well in some glazes.This problem can sometimes be corrected by using calcined zinc in the glaze.

The old saw "Zinc kills pink" is true. Any glaze with zinc and chrome/tin will not produce pink/red glazes.

FWIW.

Wyndham

The glaze that is troublesome for me is from 'MC6 Glazes', Carribean Sea Green.  it can have Noxzema blue streaks sometimes and sometimes has a cottage cheesy surface.  I always use cones, the heat work is the same each time ??

So does this mean that the other glazes in the kiln at the same time might be changed by the opacifier used in the white glaze?? No, other glazes are not affected by the opacifier in a white glaze.  The white glaze if opacified with tin, may pick up some chromium that has gone fugitive from a pot glazed with a chromium glaze(either a green or pink glaze containing chromium).  This effect can be desirable even though uncontrollable, and some potters foster it by using tin in their whites.

Archived