Advanced Member?

After reading some of the posts on Jim’s (Off Centre’s) thread I am wondering if there is some confusion arising from the info posted by our avatars. Basing our rank on the number of posts made can lead one to assume a greater level of competence / knowledge than might necessarily be the case.

If the number of posts we have made is already shown then why the Newbie, Member or Advanced Member designation? Neither is representative of our knowledge / skill set. Posting photos of our work in the gallery is one way of quickly showing our ability, though not everyone is comfortable doing that and I’m guessing many people don’t take the time to look at gallery photos before posting a reply. 

Perhaps something along the lines of a self imposed designation of where you feel your skill level is on a scale of 1 - 10 plus how many years you have been working with clay, in place of the Newbie etc designation, would allow respondents to tailor their answers to better suit the posters question / comment.

Min

I wondered about the "advanced" label and was told it is because the person posted so many times.

I like it when people use an avatar and when they say something in their profile. The majority of participants here don't use avatars and have nothing posted about themselves. They are completely anonymous. Jim was a colorful participant...sometimes edgy. But at least he identified himself.

Marcia

I agree.  I was flattered when my designation changed to advanced member, But my skill level advances much more slowly than my membership designation. On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is first day in the studio and 10 is a published, successful, and acomplished potter,  I would be a 4-5.

Perhaps someone can suggest a rating scale.  Any takers.

Jed

It's true that the "advanced" designation is only about your number of posts, and does not reflect anyone's expertise level. You are free to change your title anytime. If you edit your profile settings, you'll see a field for Member Title. You can change it to anything you want, or even leave it blank if that makes the most sense to you. I've noticed that some users have already done this. You can call yourself "student" or "weekend warrior" or "MFA" or "tilemaker" or anything that suits you. I think it is nice when folks feel comfortable revealing themselves like this, it does help with communication. But I also think the internet is a daunting place for many people and I hope anonymous users feel welcome here too. 

It's true that the "advanced" designation is only about your number of posts, and does not reflect anyone's expertise level. You are free to change your title anytime. If you edit your profile settings, you'll see a field for Member Title. You can change it to anything you want, or even leave it blank if that makes the most sense to you. I've noticed that some users have already done this. You can call yourself "student" or "weekend warrior" or "MFA" or "tilemaker" or anything that suits you. I think it is nice when folks feel comfortable revealing themselves like this, it does help with communication. But I also think the internet is a daunting place for many people and I hope anonymous users feel welcome here too. 

Thanks for that info Mea but with only a few sporadic members doing it that way it doesn’t address the issue.   Min

Hey guys;

I made my own designation when I started posting. I consider myself advanced, having gone to art school for ceramics, apprenticed with potters in England and Scotland,having an MFA from Alfred,having had a studio for 27 years and having made pots for 35.

You can call yourself whatever you wish.

I have no problem with calling myself an artist and an art educator.

Go back and change your designation.

TJR.

Perhaps changing the titles from "Newbie, member, advanced member"  to   "new to the forum, contributor, frequent contributor"  would dispell some of the confusion.  I have changed my member status so it does not say "advanced member."

Jed 

Perhaps changing the titles from "Newbie, member, advanced member"  to   "new to the forum, contributor, frequent contributor"  would dispell some of the confusion.  I have changed my member status so it does not say "advanced member."

Jed 

Depending on the software, CAD may not be able to change the default titles.

Users may just have to remember that although the titles may include "Advanced Member," that doesn't necessarily mean "Advanced Potter"!

I didn't know you could change the title either. I always felt kind of embarrassed when I saw "advanced member" next to my name. I went in and changed it to reflect more of where I am at in my artistic journey. I love this forum and it has helped me so much and when I feel like I deserve a title with advanced in it maybe I'll change it back or maybe I won't since by then I might be too old to even remember how. Lol

T

It's true that the "advanced" designation is only about your number of posts, and does not reflect anyone's expertise level. You are free to change your title anytime. If you edit your profile settings, you'll see a field for Member Title. You can change it to anything you want, or even leave it blank if that makes the most sense to you. I've noticed that some users have already done this. You can call yourself "student" or "weekend warrior" or "MFA" or "tilemaker" or anything that suits you. I think it is nice when folks feel comfortable revealing themselves like this, it does help with communication. But I also think the internet is a daunting place for many people and I hope anonymous users feel welcome here too.

Perhaps changing the titles from "Newbie, member, advanced member" to "new to the forum, contributor, frequent contributor" would dispell some of the confusion. I have changed my member status so it does not say "advanced member."

Jed

Wow! That is a great status!

It's true that the "advanced" designation is only about your number of posts, and does not reflect anyone's expertise level. You are free to change your title anytime. If you edit your profile settings, you'll see a field for Member Title. You can change it to anything you want, or even leave it blank if that makes the most sense to you. I've noticed that some users have already done this. You can call yourself "student" or "weekend warrior" or "MFA" or "tilemaker" or anything that suits you. I think it is nice when folks feel comfortable revealing themselves like this, it does help with communication. But I also think the internet is a daunting place for many people and I hope anonymous users feel welcome here too.

Perhaps changing the titles from "Newbie, member, advanced member" to "new to the forum, contributor, frequent contributor" would dispell some of the confusion. I have changed my member status so it does not say "advanced member."

Jed

Wow! That is a great status!

Thanks. It is what pottery means to me

Archived