any suggestions on buying cone 10 Lg electric oval kilns

I have a 30 x 42 interior. It is an Axner super kiln which is a dressed up Olympic. Extra insulation and ITC treated at the factory.

It is fine except It is really deep for me to load. I have cinder block steps to stand on in order to reach the bottom.

I can open the lid alone but some days it is a strain. If you are going that large, think about a counter weight for the lid.

Marcia

I would have to agree with Mark here. Putting that much money into a kiln, I would want good switches extra insulation, and element holders. No matter how much you talk about soft brick grooves and pins etc. Nothing really beats a holder/reflector for longer lasting coils, and ease of replacement. Go L&L, and no I don't get a kickback! tongue.gif Then again too. . . . this is just a personal preference on my part.

Thanks for everyones input. The L&L is pricey. I am not hard on my kilns I expect it to last a very long time. I currently have a paragon that is over 15 years in excellent condition. So the L&L is a longterm investment which makes the price worth considering.

Again thanks

Terri

I have several Olympic kilns and their short comings are the layout of the electrical. The relays & wiring is not as well designed as other mfg's. On the up side, I've learned how to replace, rewire every part of these kilns.

All kilns will wear over time. The comment about the counter weight is very important, even if you have to make one yourself.

The electrical service for the cone 10 will need to be at least 100 amp as these draw 80-90 amps. !00 amp services need heavy duty wiring. make sure you have this checked out before buying, it could be a hidden cost you didn't count on.

Wyndham

Archived