QotW: What form hand built or thrown do you have the most trouble with creating?

Over the years, I have worked with a lot of thrown and slab forms, often combining them into single pieces. However, there have been some geometries that I have not been able to reconcile. A series of these was the combination of a tall six sided form where the front and back were wider than the end pieces. The base would almost look like and elongated sexagon. Easily done, but to combine that with a wheel thrown top and lid. .  more difficult. I did end up with one that had a center cut out of a large lid, and the neck form the same. The lids always seemed to break on the seam, sometimes years after forming, but most within a few weeks. Difficult form, not worth the effort.

QotW: What form hand built or thrown do you have the most trouble with creating?

best,

Pres

Okay. I’ll go.

Plates. Not complicated, right? No bizarre geometry, just a plate. Without fail, plates give me the most trouble. Thrown, hump mold, slump mold, squished out of a slab by sheer force of will, I’ve not settled on the best way to do it. I think I just don’t like making them. I know I don’t like firing them. 

The most challenging for me are teapots,  yet I love making teapots.   Getting them to pour correctly is challenge for me.  This is my personality,  it doesn't matter to me that I might fail and waste time and material I  enjoy the intensity and focus of the work.   Denice    

It took me many years to master teapots but I did. Since those early days i have made them every year for over the last 45 at least. I recently decided to limit my forms and now teapots are on that no longer made list. I had a teapot handle collection that was in the hundreds. My family long ago started collecting them on world travels in the 70-80-90s. I sold them all this year except 6 english cane handles in case I make a few more teapots. This one was from the early 80s when I worked in stoneware and was in my personal home  collection In 1985 I switched to a all porcealin studio and so all teapots since then (except the salt fired ones) are porcelain. This funtional form requires the most work with the spout and lid and handle connections or clay handle.I do like making them. I made 10 a year for a long time then downsized to 6-8 a year about 10 years ago. I cut the spouts sharp and put them on to when the retwist (they unwind and turn during a glaze fire) they come out straight again. That diagram is written on the studio wall from the 70s on how to cut them. This one is a ,5-6 cup size

IMG_8820.jpg

Edited by Mark C.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, I have the HARDEST time hand building. I never took a class in college for it and honestly haven’t done enough research for handbuilding to even be something I can progress at. I even have a hard time making mugs because I am impatient and want them to dry too quickly. 

I plan on watching some YouTube videos and doing some research so that I can build some lanterns soon. My main priority at the moment is making a vase that looks like a purse to donate to a charity for their annual luncheon silent auction. 

if you have any tips on handbuilding please send them my way as I have very little experience except a high school project back in 2013. 

thanks,

Sydney K. 
Ceramist and owner of Your Sister’s Pot Shop