Type of hypoid oil for pugmill

Hi, I recently acquired a second-hand pugmill from a local pottery (see pics)

The previous owner said the gears had been replaced and that after using it for the first time I should replace the (hypoid) oil, which will remove the leftover swarf from the new gears etc.

Can anyone recommend which type of hypoid oil I should use? There seem to be so many :-(

Thanks in advance

Andy

20240127_165755 (Small).jpg

20240127_165627 (Small).jpg

If you absolutely do not find a spec, I would consider trying hypoid general purpose gear oil, likely in the 90w range and observe the heating in early operation. I would hope there are no significant swarf  to speak of from machining operations and he was concerned about break in.

I'd started looking this morning, then had to run...

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the Forum!

Good question. I'm not finding a specific reference for oil types/viscosity for Podmore pugmill...
...nor for "Opperman spur reduction" gearbox, which appears to have been standard for some time with Podmore pugmills.

Hypoid oil is important for ...hypoid gears!
Still have the drained oil? Might be helpful for comparison.
You might go with a semi-synthetic (cheaper than full synthetic) multi-range hypoid gear oil.
How warm/hot the gearbox gets, important, as Bill has pointed out.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

In brief reply: I can buy Lucas oil products in the UK; I live in the north of England so it doesn't really get too hot (wet, yes :wacko: ); I'll keep an eye on its operational temp as I run it in, using semi-synthetic 90w, or similar

Andy