Brent CXC wheel stopped spinning - light still on

Hello!

The other day I was throwing , got a call so I turned off my wheel for a second. Once I turned the wheel back on, I heard a loud pop from the underside of it and power stopped moving to the wheel.

The light is still on but there’s no sign of movement from the motor. I contacted Brent Support and they were very nice and said it might be the controller but as they couldn’t see it weren’t sure. (They don’t currently allow photos in their support form). Does this possibly look like a controller issue? I’m posting for a second opinion since I’m not the most electronically advanced and the controllers run at $235 a pop. 

949rwRV_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

Here is what I see
Looks like multiple points of arcing and possibly some missing circuit board traces as a result of the arc.. hard to tell from the picture with certainty but if the circuit board traces are gone several components will be gone, controller highly likely needs replacement. Since these things were in a plastic box, I don’t understand what could have arced where the arrows are pointed. Loose wire floating around in the box? If true, I would examine closely before installing a new one. Nothing should touch the bottom of the circuit board. A picture of the front likely allows some component identification

IMG_4371.jpeg

I could not open your photo on my mac but Bills photos shows a burnt spot on back of board .As he said whats on the from of board?

If you have to get a new board make sure its for your model and tear as they make many types

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I were to guess I would say this may have been caused with dry solder joints, as small cracks appear on the solder ring around the component pin it begins arcing

On 1/20/2024 at 2:11 PM, Bill Kielb said:

Here is what I see
Looks like multiple points of arcing and possibly some missing circuit board traces as a result of the arc.. hard to tell from the picture with certainty but if the circuit board traces are gone several components will be gone, controller highly likely needs replacement. Since these things were in a plastic box, I don’t understand what could have arced where the arrows are pointed. Loose wire floating around in the box? If true, I would examine closely before installing a new one. Nothing should touch the bottom of the circuit board. A picture of the front likely allows some component identification

IMG_4371.jpeg

If I were to guess I would say this may have been caused with dry solder joints, as small cracks appear on the solder ring around the component pin it begins arcing and eventually burns the whole joint out. But as you mentioned, its quite tough to see the tracks in the image, if you can give a clear image of both the top and underside of this PCB I would have a better idea on what actually popped. 

In electronics you will find most PCB designs have common weaknesses and if you replace like for like then chances are you will find the same fault reoccurring eventually. If you opt to replace this whole board then I would recommend giving all the solder joints (Especially the burnt one) a reflow with some good quality flux cored leaded solder.