Alpine Inc. Wheel, model DCW-2

botrytis

I've been gifted an old alpine inc wheel, it trips the breaker everytime i switch it on.  Looking for some help or someone that has experience with these wheels. I've replaced the power cord and switch. I've sanded and cleaned where the ground connects to the control box.  I've also scoured the internet but not much info on these wheels. I have also read through all the posts on forums containing the word Alpine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Not to push my luck but a wiring diagram would be very helpful too. Thank you for your time. 

There is very little information available on those wheels. As far as I know there isn't anyone active on the forum who has one, but fingers crossed someone will pop up.

Typically wheels have 3 major components- the pedal which contains some sort of potentiometer, the control board, and the motor. The motor is not usually the problem when things go wrong with a wheel. 99% of the time it's the pedal or the control board. Have you tried taking the pedal out of the equation and running the controller directly to the motor? That would help narrow down where the problem is happening. Also check the cord grips where the pedal cord goes into the pedal assembly and the control box. On a couple of my wheels I've had the cord wear out at the cord grip at the pedal, and the pedal has stopped working. It's possible those wires have worn through and they're grounding out on each other or on the pedal itself.

Welcome to the Forum botrytis!
I'm not recalling finding detailed documentation on Alpine wheels.
This potters.org thread might be helpful
clayart - thread 'alpine electric wheels' (potters.org)

Alpine may still be responsive?
Alpine Kilns | Contact Us
Pottery Wheel Foot Pedal Stuck To On - Equipment Use and Repair - Ceramic Arts Daily Community

Refers to threads above, AND there are scans of original docs! !!!
A.D. Alpine, Inc Pottery Wheel Repair - Equipment Use and Repair - Ceramic Arts Daily Community

Confirms model designation (DCW-2)
Amaco 1-101 Motor Hums but Wheel does not turn - Equipment Use and Repair - Ceramic Arts Daily Community

Added: Forum internal search feature only returns "open" (UNarchived) threads; to search all, try using an external search engine, and include somewhat like "community.ceramicartsdaily.org" in your search string...

Edited by Hulk
added ...&edited

21 hours ago, Hulk said:

Alpine may still be responsive?

Nope. Alpine hasn't seen one of these wheels in decades. When I worked for them 2001-2004 I don't think we even had plans for them. I remember organizing all their wiring diagrams and assembly blueprints before I left, but not seeing anything for the wheel. I believe they were made when Alpine was in California, which was before they were in Elk Grove Village, IL, before they were in Sturtevant, WI, before they were wherever they are now.

2 hours ago, Hulk said:

Added: Forum internal search feature only returns "open" (UNarchived) threads; to search all, try using an external search engine, and include community.ceramicartsdaily.org in your search string...

Good advice, but I think it should be site:community.ceramicartsdaily.org

For example google PeterH community.ceramicartsdaily.org gave me 76,400 hits, while google PeterH site:community.ceramicartsdaily.org gave me 186 hits

PS Note that these figures vary between users and invocations. A second call produced 957 & 76,400.