Amaco 1-101 Motor Hums but Wheel does not turn

My wife has two of these and both wheels have now stopped moving. The motor hums but the top wheel just sits there. Do these need lubrication? Can they be lubricated? When it is said that it is direct drive what does that mean? What are the mechanics between the motor and the wheel. Thanks for your help and time! A potter needs her wheel.

Oldlady said 

(are these the aluminum ones with only 2 speeds and the wheel sits inside a rounded teardrop shape?    photos will help the tech folks to give you the right advice.) 

I think these are that low to ground teardrop shape after googling them

Call Amaco/Brent on these questions as they made them for decades long ago see if anyone  still recalls them who is still alive at the Company

Those wheels are really old and I have only been in this business for 50 years and never had one

I was given an Amaco but it was a different model-I gave it away-years later they tried to give it back to me

Direct drive means no belts or pulleys between the motor and wheel head-just a direct connection

it can direct couple to the motor or couple thru a gear box

If there is a gear box then put 80-90 weight gear grease in it

If the motor is the issue take it to an electric motor shop for repair

I assume that there is a 90 degree gear box that transfers the motor plane to the wheel head plane-that may need grease as well.

There is one on ebay now for 1,050$ I think shows it pretty well

Neil may know more about them as he worked there long ago.

Lets see what he recalls

Edited by Mark C.

Heres the old catalog from the 60-70s with some wheels They made this in 1/2 and 1 hp models-the 1-101 is not in this catalog so its an earlier model

I had the 1 hp model and a vertical pug mill as well from this catalog

This is also when Alpine was in El Sugundo in Cal. They moved east about 40-50 years ago

I gave the pug mill away-what a monster at 700#s

IMG_5089.jpeg

IMG_5090.jpeg