QotW: How is the shelving in your studio setup?

Hi folks, I have recently gone through some cleanup in the shop, and remembered how my first set up of shelving was done.  When I first set up the garage as the pot shop I had nothing but bare walls, electric came from the house on an overhead wire, and all of the inside wiring was 110v, and even plugging in a heater would flip a breaker in the house. I did not have a wedging table, and the first few years wedged on the concrete floor! First I had an electrician put in a separate line to the garage. . . meter and all. Then I put in the wiring for the various boxes and areas I envisioned, keeping a space for the electrician to put the kiln in near the circuit box. First L &L arrived and was wired in with a 12 foot cable allowing me a little leeway in positioning it. I decided I needed some shelving for in progress pieces, greenware, and bisqueware. So I built a series of 2X10's with grooves cut in both sides that had notches at the top, and deadbolt latches at the bottom. These were attached to the garage door 2X8 that went across from wall to wall for the door rails and springs. Then a series of 4'X8'X3/8" were cut to make 18"X24" ware boards to slide into the slots of the uprights for shelving. Over the years having this shelving setup let me a adjust shelving for taller and shorter pots, allowed the shelves to come out to set next to the wheel for wet work and then on the rack to dry. It turned out to be very versatile and held up for many years until my needs changed and the space was needed for other things.

QotW: How do you have your shelving setup in your studio, is it hand built, bought, wood, metal or plastic? Particular please, even pictures if you can.

best,

Pres

All my shelves are wood and I have a lot inside studio.Most are up overhead and in my throwing room (3 are waist and shoulder height  ) they are all painted white as is the whole room except a grteay floor.. I have shelves next to the kilns outside on rolling racks that do not roll (perment install) and those are also wood -racks are steel.I have a few of these behind my larger gas car kiln for summer overflow as well (4-5 in total outside)My shelves are wide so a 18 in diameter round bats fits on them easy.

I do have a few large metal store rack flat pieces on some wooden racks way up latter height to dry in winter. Most shelves are plywood and solid.

I throw on palster bats which are on are boards about 6 feet long and go outside in summer or up in center area in winter overhead in studio. Pots are transfered to round larger bats (18 inch sink rounds) after they are removed from plaster these bats thay hold all wares and are easy to move around.

I just counted 35 of them last night all with mugs  on them for the end of year and this coming winters worth for outlets. I'm firing all kilns now for xmas and next yeaqrs back stock .Today will be my last day of throwing and its miso bowls .One last bisque and many more glaze fires. All done in about a  long week-seems like almost retired.

Edited by Mark C.

I have two metal shelving units that hold my glaze chemical containers.  Next to my wheel I have two plastic shelving units that are 10 ft tall,  3ft wide and  12 inches deep.   They sit sideways to the wall,   The open side of the shelves are within easy reach and I can place freshly thrown pots on them.   When I am ready for a break  I move them over to the drying cabinet,  my drying cabinet is just a vented  plastic utility cabinet.  I use old wire racks on the adjustable  plastic shelves to set the pots on.   I have one more plastic shelf unit by the extruder,  it has mostly tools and some finished pots on it.  My kiln room had one wall that was missing a 4x8 area of sheetrock,  I cut up a bunch of scrap 2x4's and wedged them between the studs,  creating a lot of shelves for stilts, cones and other misc kiln parts.    Denice

Purging is also a yearly event in my studio.   I did a purging recently,   my husband was installing  new led tube lights on my ceiling.   I had to unload some of the shelves so they could be moved.   I didn't think I threw away that much such but I I seem to have several empty shelves now.   Denice