Trying for Cone 1 glossy/satin white

RainePotter

I am working with a glaze that has gerstley borate, cause I have plenty. I have only found 2 cone 1 glaze recipes on line.

The recipe I’m working on is clear not quite smooth enough and has tiny bubbles. I want to opacify it for white.  I tested tin, zirco, and others. But I’m not getting a good melt. I have some Frits on hand.  

Guessing I should fix the glaze without opacifiers first? shall I up the gerstly? Or try frit 3134 or 3124? 

7 hours ago, RainePotter said:

am working with a glaze that has gerstley borate, cause I have plenty. I have only found 2 cone 1 glaze

Just asking - have you tried lowering the melting point by apportioning the boron? It’s pretty typical to get to cone 6 with .15 boron. The relationship has tested fairly predictable to cone 04. The chart below would indicate prox 0.3 boron gets you cone 1. Katz ceramic arts article here https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/docs/default-source/uploadedfiles/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/tf-boroninglazes-0912.pdf as far as satin and matte - Stull matte allows you to dial in level of matte / gloss. Testing for sure ….. still may give you a starting point.

Other thought is take some favorite cone six recipes and increase the boron to 0.3 or so and lower the melting point.

IMG_4200.jpeg

Edited by Bill Kielb

The cone one clear recipe I’m using is:

GB                              28.00

neph. Syenite       46.00

epk.                               6.00

silica.                          20.00

bentonite.                   1.00

i’d love to learn to calculate boron using that chart but don’t quite know enough yet ☺️

I've got an altered cone 1-3 glaze from Charlie Cummings who came up with it from Linda Arbuckles glazes. 

Given the variability of materials and firing conditions if you try it please just try a small test amount first. 

Cone 1-3 Majolica White

Gerstley Borate 10.30

Nepheline Syenite 8

EPK 5.6

OM4 Ball clay 4.5

Whiting 9.75

Silic 24

Ferro Frit 3124 37.5

Zircopax 12

The alumina in your glaze is really quite high for a lowfire glaze, it's probably why you aren't getting a good melt. (alumina stiffens a glaze)