Old manual kiln with three on/off switches and no cone sitter

Mrsgillespie

I was given an old manual kiln, not very large, that did not come with instructions. It doesn’t have a brand on it and only has three light switches on the front. No cone sitter, no high/low, nothing. I know It can high fire because the woman told me. I have no clue how to bisque fire in this thing:) can anyone help? 

Hi and welcome!

You have found a delightful relic, it sounds like. I’m going to move the thread over to the equipment section, because it’ll get more of the right eyes on it. 

If it’s possible, can you post pictures of the control box and any plates stating voltage and wattage? The easiest way is to edit your post via the three dots in the right hand corner of the reply box. Do this from your cell phone’s browser, and upload the images from your camera reel. Your phone should prompt you to choose a file size when you do, and the smallest one is fine. 

Hi Gillespie, welcome to the Forum!

My first kiln was fully manual*.
I used cones. At first, I watched the cones through the peep holes (wearing kiln glasses against harmful rays and flying bits). Later, I relied on the pyrometer, and checked cone packs afterward. Keeping detailed notes really helps - time, temp, observations, results.

I'd run up to about 200°F the night before, all peeps left open. The next day, all three switches on high, then toggle the switches to hold at 1500°F for an hour**, then full speed to cone 04, then off. I'd fitted the kiln with a downdraft vent; for bisque, I just leave the fan on until it's cooled to 1400...

That's what worked for me, ymmv
The portable pyrometer has been very worthwhile, imo.

*three high/medium/low switches and a sitter.
I see the sitter as a safety backup, never depended on it.

**holding at 1500 seems to help, particularly for buff, red, and black clays...