Breathing in air dry clay dust from sanding

So i picked up clay as a hobby years ago. I was little and neither me nor my parents thought to do research on it for possible health hazards.

Nowadays i scarcely bother, but recently i had time and made a little statue. It's been left to dry for about two weeks and i decided to sand the base because it kept falling over. I dont have any special equipment here or anything so i just used a nail file i dont use anymore.

I filed it over the bathroom sink, but halfway in it hit me that i probably shouldn't be breathing that, so i cleaned it up and rinsed my hands and the sink with water. I dont think i breathed in too much - there wasnt much dust to begin with - and from the search i did afterwards it seems that small amounts, although not harmless, aren't dangerous.

also figured that, firstly, I've had the statuette sitting by my computer for the last five days now, which apparently is also not great. Secondly, i have probably already breathed in quite a bit over the years by working with the material with no safety measures - even though I've never attempted to sand it before. So I concluded that I've probably had more exposure to it over time than in the last ten minutes. And all in all, I've never presented any breathing problems. Not to say i wont be safer with the material from now on, but yk.

Should I be paranoid nonetheless? Was there any elevated risk by sanding the statuette than I've had in the past, or something else i possibly missed? Thanks for your time.

You should not be paranoid. You’re likely to have more exposure to free silica taking a walk on a dry breezy day than sanding greenware for five minutes over the sink. No harm in being cautious, but you have nothing to worry about.

A thought for future reference, I like to dampen things with a sponge then scrape using a steel rib if I need to remove material  

Wet sanding is you friend.   

a drive down a dirt road with windows open, is higher risk for respiratory complications.

I spoke with a manager of a sand and porcelain mine,  no worker has come down with any respiratory complications.  And there is minimal use of personal protective equipment 

I agree with everyone above: most low volume creators shouldn’t have major dust risks, but working as dust free as possible is just good practice.

If the piece is still green, an old trick is to wet down any canvas surface you work on, and work the pieces in a figure 8 over it to get rid of any wobbles in the base. If you don’t work on a canvas surface (there’s better things imo), something like a smooth cement surface will work. And be easier to clean. 

12 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I agree with everyone above: most low volume creators shouldn’t have major dust risks, but working as dust free as possible is just good practice.

If the piece is still green, an old trick is to wet down any canvas surface you work on, and work the pieces in a figure 8 over it to get rid of any wobbles in the base. If you don’t work on a canvas surface (there’s better things imo), something like a smooth cement surface will work. And be easier to clean. 

This!   I noticed many people at the new studio I am at, many are sanding pieces with expensive diamond pads as a matter of routine.  i was taught to fix roughness early on,     sanding  finished pieces is a last effort 

And yet another suggestion: metal window screen.

Lay a piece of metal window screen, presumably aluminum?, on a flat surface and gently move the unfired pot back and forth. When you're done simply lift the screen and gently sponge away the dust. If the screen becomes clogged simply pull it in opposite directions and the particles fall out.

This works especially well when wanting to get a flat surface on a plaster form but I also use it with pots occasionally.