24 gauge wire in ornaments

I have embedded 24 gauge wire in ornaments and bisqued to cone 06. After glazing, I am hoping to fire them to con five. I am using a 17 gauge wire, hung on a cone 10 rod and hoping they do not sag too much. Any thoughts? Any experience, many thanks.

Ornaments are approximately 19-24 grams (.6 of an ounce) or so. I have gone ahead and put six on a cone 10 rod with hangers (gauge 17) through the wires on the ornaments (gauge 24) looped over the rod. I normally stilt them….but wanted to give this a try. Believe me…. I am nervous. I will post a photo after I open then kiln. 

So you've got a cone 10 ceramic rod, and over the rod is a series of 17 gauge loops that hold the ornaments? So the ceramic rod is what you're worried about sagging correct? The wires will probably be fine. The only answer we can give regarding the rod is 'maybe'. It all depends on how thick the rod is, how long the span is, how much weight it's carrying, etc. There's no way to know until you try it.  Worst can scenario, the rod bends so much that it falls off its supports and you end up with a pile of stuff on the kiln shelf. Best case it works great. 

Assuming that your wire will fire to cone 6 without melting, the span of your rod needs to be addressed.   If the rod sags at all the wires will slide together.  If the length of the rod is worrying put a support in the middle.  A shelf support of the right height will work.  lin

We are asking if the wire is Nichrome or Kanthal, which is the material it’s made of, not so much the size of the wire. If the wire is Nichrome, it’ll have a lower heat tolerance than the Kanthal will. 

To be fair, there’s no mention of its composition or firing limits in most online product listings when I do a google search, and the sales language is VERY misleading. Kemper refers to high temperature in relation to a lot of their products that are meant for low fire. So “high temperature” also includes mid-fire by their definition.

If you go to the Kemper website, there is a product labelled High Temperature Wire, and they do say that it will tolerate up to cone 5. At cone ten, I would not be surprised to see distortion.