QotW: As a potter, are you a hobbyist, self employed, or do you work for a larger ceramics company as a potter or support person? 

Hi folks, cooler here finally in Central Pa, the heat last week was unbearable in the shop a few days. I was talking to someone the other day who is a local plumber replacing fittings, installing hot water heaters etc.; he used to work for a large construction company installing pipe, water heaters all plumbing needed in large buildings.   Got me to wondering about folks that do pottery. Do most of you work in clay as self employed, or do some of you work for a larger company doing ceramics related income, and maybe pot on your own? 

My personal background was teaching art as you know, and mostly Ceramics. Working weekends and nights as a hobbyist.

QotW: As a potter, are you a hobbyist, self employed, or do you work for a larger ceramics company as a potter or support person? 

best,

Pres

Self-employed.

From my perspective (one who makes my income at art fairs and craft shows), I think most who rely on pottery for income are as well, though many have other supplemental incomes streams, such as teaching or another day job. But the pottery operation itself is a small business where the potter is the boss. 

I have been a full timer makin g full time income on pottery money for most of my 50 years. I have had some other interests also which brought in income but its minor  (diving jobs ,underwater photo sales ,writing .My wife and I have had separate finances with a joint account to run the home/food. Clay can be a great gig but you have to be motivated more than most .

I started out wanting to be a art teacher,   I didn't get to attend college until I was older.   I decided to concentrate on clay instead of teaching.   I had my studio for 15 years when I went back to finish my degree.   I taught some art classes in my son's school,  sold some pots  and did portraiture sculpture  during that time period.   When I graduated from college  I closed my decorating business  that I had for 20 years to concentrate on my work.   I had  my mother,  father,  niece  and other relatives die that year,   my husband and I decided that life is too short  and I should be in the studio working.    I started selling my work at galleries  before I graduated,  so I at least had money for supplies.    I  haven't sold any work since Covid,  most of the galleries around here closed and didn't reopen.   I don't care about selling work anymore,   I will let my son deal with it  when I am gone.   Right now I am headed out to my studio,   I have a mural to finish before I head into a new direction  with my work.   Yesterday I picked up a 25lb bag of clay off the floor and ran it thru the slab roller.   I flipped it over after I laid sheet rock on it and cut the tiles.   I am a 70 year old woman who has Multiple Sclerosis,   working with clay makes you STRONG.   At this stage of my life strength is more important than money.  Denice

• Pres unpinned this topic