Mixing Blick Stoneware

Tbeans

Hi all,

I am taking over a ceramics teaching position at a high school. I have a Soldner mixer that's got plenty of clay in it submerged in water, I'm wondering what I can mix with it to reprocess that clay and get it to the correct consistency. I'm 90% sure the clay was a stoneware from Blick Art Materials. I'm guessing ball clay, but after that I don't know what else, or if there are premade mixtures to buy? Thanks in advance.

Hi Tbeans,

Welcome to the Forum!

Good questions.
Drying the slurry to the desired consistency could be an approach; ladle off the clear water, mix thoroughly, then dry*.

Several clay vendors sell powdered clay - saves on shipping costs - however, the clay you end up with, very likely, will have different properties than what you started with.
You might get in touch with local and/or preferred vendors to inquire about dry/powdered stoneware.
I know I've seen dry clay offered by vendors in California.
Aha! Here's an Idaho store's page featuring some Laguna Cone 5 clays, fifty pound bags 
50LB Bag Dry Clay – The Potter's Center (thepotterscenter.com)

Whether you dry out what you have, or add dry stoneware to it, either way, you might start with a sample, then test its working properties, how it fires, how it takes your glazes and finishes?
Same as for any unknown/new clay, test to see how it works!

*There are several methods for drying out sticky wet clay.
I ladle the goop onto plaster slabs, then turn and wedge it periodically until it is ready to bag.
I've seen and read that others bag the goop in tied off jean legs, into pillowcases, et cetera...
It's a bit of work, however you go about it!

Edited by Hulk
Idaho

Do you have a good ventilation system in the mixing area? If not, you shouldn't be using dry clay.  Better to dry out the slop to the proper consistency and then run it through the mixer to even it out.

If you just add ball clay or any other single clay to the mix, you're going to alter the formula, and eventually it'll have problems. Better to use a complete clay body so things stay in balance. If you know that the current clay body matures at cone 6, then you should be safe adding any similar cone 6 clay body to the mix. Test a small batch first, of course.

you mention that the clay is submerged but do not say whether it is totally hard or almost liquid.  which is it?

someone may have tried to add water to solid but not dry clay.  never had that work for me, the clay just sits there hard as a rock.

to remove excess water from the soldner mixer, dip out as much as you can and start tossing dry towels into the water and removing the excess on the towels.  then turn on the mixer.