Clear Dipping Troubleshooting

CCLACC

Hi!
So I've tried several recipes of a low-fire clear dipping glazes and I'm getting generally the same results: cloudy/milky. Looking for solutions to this problem! Here are two recipes that I've used:
Silica 10
Neph Sye 20
EPK 10
Gerstley 30
Frit 3134

and

Frit 3110 77
GB 6
EPK 7
Silica 10

Would appreciate advice or another recipe. Thanks!

Speaking in the most general terms here, the easiest fix is to apply the glaze very thin and/or fire it slightly higher. It’s not really fixing the problem though. As Pres mentioned, it would help to know the temp you’re firing to. Many people on this forum fire to cone 6, but those recipes look like they melt well below that (I’m assuming 3134 in the first recipe is 30%). 

It’s not an uncommon problem, but can involve several variables. Tony Hansen has published some excellent work on this, freely available. For starters you could look here:

https://www.digitalfire.com/glossary/transparent+glazes

I've spent years trying to find a crystal clear glaze and have yet to find one. (Cone 6 porcelain)

It could be that I'm applying it to porcelain but I'm not sure? Just when I get a beautiful clear glaze I see crazing. Just when I reduce the crazing I get cloudiness. It seems never ending.

I find adding 5% Silica and Wollastonite to Continental Clay Cone 6 clear does a great job of solving the crazing but then the cloudiness kicks in. (Ever so slightly.)

It also seems to depend upon what you're covering? Are these glazes going over underglazes/slips? Certain underglazes play well with glazes and some don't. I have yet to find  clear glaze that plays well with Amaco Velour Black. A beautiful jet black color but which brings out the cloudiness in a glaze.

Years ago, when I first started casting, in the 80's, I cast using Duncan Earthenware slip. I also used their Earthenware Dipping clear glaze. Most amazing clear glaze I have ever seen. Water clear and a beautiful glossy surface. I'm sure its very expensive but if you want "true clear" I'd look into it.