QotW: Have you found a tightening of suppliers in your area or a shortage of supplies at your GO-TO Ceramic supplier?

With all of the consideration about supplies and material costs along with the past of Covid effects on business. . . I have wondered how your go to supplier is surviving. I was at SC in Pittsburgh last year and noticed how much they seemed at the time to be down on stock. I also have noticed that a supplier I had seen out east of me has not seemed to be open when I have been by.

QotW: Have you found a tightening of suppliers in your area or a shortage of supplies at your GO-TO Ceramic supplier?

I have been interested in making a trip to Bailey up in NY, but don't look forward to the drive. Used to swing by there on the way back from a vacation years ago. The new kiln came with 6 half shelves, but I would like at least another pair for firing patens, even two more pair would give me a decent glaze load pack. However, with NCECA coming to Richmond next year, I can take a hold til then.

best,

Pres

My local supplier had limited supplies during  Covid, the one employee almost died from it.   She was in the hospital for a month,  they sent her home to  put together estate plans.  They said they could no longer help  her.   She laid in bed for 3 days and decided to get up and clean her house,  she is back at work lifting those heavy boxes of clay.    The store seems  to be well stocked now I think it is because Virginia is back.  Denice

Suppliers in my neck of the woods tend to be sparse, consisting of Ceramics Canada in Calgary and buying direct from Plainsman in either Medicine Hat or Edmonton. A trip to Ceramics Canada tends to be not only a supply run, but a chance to catch up on clay community gossip as well. It’s a 20 minute drive for me, but I have to factor 2 hours, lol! The suppliers in Canada tend to work in community with each other, as I think I could count them all on both hands with a few fingers left over. 

The ones closest to me actually thrived during covid, because everyone was locked out of community studios, and people were looking for calming things to do during lockdowns. The suppliers had a big run on kilns and wheels, and Ceramics Canada  started bringing in clay from Ontario as well. They went above and beyond with health precautions, so you had to call your order in and pay via credit card or e-transfer, and pick up your pile of stuff at the back door for a good year and a half. If people were mean about it, I didn’t hear. 

Laguna been out and low on many standard clay bodies the past year. Some materila have left (like talc and soon grestley borate). They also have had a turnover of oldtimes retiring to add to this disruption. I'm sure thats trickled down to smaller suppliers as well.

• Pres unpinned this topic