QotW: Have you ever been inspired/awed by seeing another potter working?

QotW: Have you ever been inspired/awed by seeing another potter working?

I can remember a long trip on the train from Tyrone to Chicago. . A.R.T. Facilities. I went to see John Glick do a demonstration. I had often read articles about him, seen pictures of his work, and really liked what he was doing. However, I was not expecting the number of ideas, and techniques he demonstrated in that all day workshop. He threw pots, and reassembled them, handbuilt forms using wooden hinged frames and decorated slabs, and so many other techniques. . . I was practically dizzy besides being sick as a dog from getting over the flu.  I had the opportunity to see him years later in NC doing a demo with others at the Randolph Arts Guild

There have been others that have impressed me, but the trip to Chicago and John Glick really has stuck with me.

best,

Pres

Steve Reynolds ('40-'07 &  past President of NCECA) was visiting professor in my last semester at VCU School of the Arts/Ceramics. He was addressing sculpture (and social commentary)  but would start off with the most perfectly, seemingly effortlessly, thrown pots--before he smacked, squished & whacked them into another realm of beingness. This was in the early '80s, which was such a vibrant time;  contemporary art was lurching and soaring, as evolving postmodernism.

Every workshop I have attended I have been impressed by something different in each artist.  The artist I want to be is Marcia Selsor,  I visited her studio when I was in  the Yellowstone area.  When I got there she was lounging in the back yard with a  small kiln firing,   She would pull a pot out and look it over and  maybe sprinkle  some of her magic dust on it for more flash.  She had a order for 6 pots from a gallery she needed to fill.   When  the firing was over  she took me  through her huge studio to show me her new kiln in the back.   We walked by a couple of her moon pots sitting on the wheel.   She gently touches them to see if they are ready to be moved,   We finally reach our destination of the new kiln building and  huge kiln.  The reason I want to be a potter like Marcia is that she is so serene and calming.   When I am in my studio I am hype up and don't want anyone talking to me while I am trying to work.  I usually just stop working if I am interrupted and have my concentration broken.    Denice

• Pres unpinned this topic