QotW: Gap or no gap in your shelf spacing and how do you believe this effects your firing if you use a downdraft blower/vent?

I was cleaning out a kiln from a forced firing that was a disaster, and wondered about shelf settings. I have always believed that shelves should be spaced even on the same level, and at times would make certain to not have shelves on the same level staggering ware and shelves. Yet I have recently been using 4 stilts to a layer leaving only an 1/8 th of an inch in spacing. This also leaves me to wonder about the downdraft blower, and how gaps effect the movement of air in the kiln. 

QotW: Gap or no gap in your shelf spacing and how do you believe this effects your firing if you use a downdraft blower/vent?

best,

Pres

I try to stagger my shelves on every axis almost never lining them up. I want the flame to be able to freely flow through the kiln and being the kiln fires hotter at the top front and the back bottom reaching temp last I also stack pieces accordingly. Tighter at the top and more space between pieces the lower and further back they are. All this makes a WORLD of difference in firing .

I'd got to the point* where I thought the amount of material (weight) on each level and the overall/total matter, and how much element is shining on each level matters for the cooler levels at top and bottom.
Shelves being heavy, another shelf makes a big difference.
I was staggering shelves so there'd be a tall half level at the top across from most of a medium height level AND a short half level, if that makes sense, where there's less also lighter wares and more space at the top.

Any road, where how much element is shining on each level I believe makes a difference, but as for air movement, it's just a trickle out the bottom and leaking in mostly at the top, I'd imagine swirling about a lot, I'd not thought of blocking the path at all, but leaving the vent on as the kiln cools makes the top shelf cool faster, where the glaze effects are noticeable some times. I'm shutting down the vent when the elements are turned off - after controlled cool to 1850F is completed to prevent that.

*on the old kiln, which I'd given away afore our move.
The next kiln will almost certainly be numerically controlled, new learning experience!

@Hulk I also shut off the vent fan at the end of the cycle when the kiln shuts off.  On bisque and on glaze. I am doing a lot of patens (plates) and so don't get much chance to split level as It is more economic to use four patens to a level, splitting levels cuts the numbers especially since I don't have extra shelves yet.

best,

Pres

• Pres unpinned this topic